BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Incubating & Hatching Eggs › INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! come HATCH, LEARN, & Chat! w/hosts, Sally Sunshine & BantyChooks
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! come HATCH, LEARN, & Chat! w/hosts, Sally Sunshine & BantyChooks - Page 4  

post #31 of 157631
Quote:
Originally Posted by slrose24 View Post

i have cream legbar eggs on the way, not sure how many yet, but as many as i can get.  i will probably incubate some barnyard mixes from a friends farm (ive taken to calling them 'brown haven' eggs, ha!.  i am using a little giant with a fan and no turner.  i can a hydrometer/thermometer to use and the the incubator should be calibrated from my last (poor) hatch.  tomorrow the eggs are shipping and i will plug the incubator in then.  the temp im going to keep the same 37.5 C  but i would like to work with a lower humidity.....my last hatch was between 50-60 % with lockdown being 60-70%, there were also a couple very high spikes when i tried to adjust the humidity up for lockdown.  this hatch i want to try 35% throughout and 50-65% on lockdown. i just devised a little 'manual' egg turner for my self that i am hoping will help me keep the humidity even.  i thought i could move the cartons from side to side of the lids (like in the first and second picture) and fill the rock filled lids with water to keep the humidity i desire....that way if it goes to high i can remove the lid and replace it with a dry backup

any thoughts on if this will be efficent?





Seems pretty clever, I would be worried that it might be a bit flimsy once filled with eggs though. ( I never like the foam egg cartons) do you have any eggs to put in it to see how it handles the weight? Why rocks and not sponges? To keep it from tipping?
Be so happy that when others look at you they become happy too
Be so happy that when others look at you they become happy too
post #32 of 157631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saris View Post


Seems pretty clever, I would be worried that it might be a bit flimsy once filled with eggs though. ( I never like the foam egg cartons) do you have any eggs to put in it to see how it handles the weight? Why rocks and not sponges? To keep it from tipping?

the eggs are to keep it stable once the eggs are in it....also, i figured if i kept them in there through the hatch, this would keep the water from being deep enough to drown a chick..... i know the incubator has wells, but this seems easier to alter without disturbing the eggs.

 

when on lock down would one keep the eggs tilts or place them flat up and down or on there sides?  before this i had my eggs like they would lay in the nest the whole time and im not sure what action i should take when i reach lockdown if using this meythod

post #33 of 157631

Subscribing :ya

Our large family - two teenage twin boys, 17 horses, 6 dogs, 2 goats, cats, Zebu cows, Porcelain, golden neck, brown/red, and mille fleur d'Uccles, Sebrights and Silkie chickens, Seramas, Bantam Ameraucana, Polish Crested chickens, pheasants, Guineas, peafowl, pigeons and quail. Crazy runner ducks and adorable call ducks! macaws, African Greys, and parrotlets,
Our large family - two teenage twin boys, 17 horses, 6 dogs, 2 goats, cats, Zebu cows, Porcelain, golden neck, brown/red, and mille fleur d'Uccles, Sebrights and Silkie chickens, Seramas, Bantam Ameraucana, Polish Crested chickens, pheasants, Guineas, peafowl, pigeons and quail. Crazy runner ducks and adorable call ducks! macaws, African Greys, and parrotlets,
post #34 of 157631
Quote:
Originally Posted by slrose24 View Post
 

i have cream legbar eggs on the way, not sure how many yet, but as many as i can get.  i will probably incubate some barnyard mixes from a friends farm (ive taken to calling them 'brown haven' eggs, ha!.  i am using a little giant with a fan and no turner.  i can a hydrometer/thermometer to use and the the incubator should be calibrated from my last (poor) hatch.  tomorrow the eggs are shipping and i will plug the incubator in then.  the temp im going to keep the same 37.5 C  but i would like to work with a lower humidity.....my last hatch was between 50-60 % with lockdown being 60-70%, there were also a couple very high spikes when i tried to adjust the humidity up for lockdown.  this hatch i want to try 35% throughout and 50-65% on lockdown. i just devised a little 'manual' egg turner for my self that i am hoping will help me keep the humidity even.  i thought i could move the cartons from side to side of the lids (like in the first and second picture) and fill the rock filled lids with water to keep the humidity i desire....that way if it goes to high i can remove the lid and replace it with a dry backup

 

any thoughts on if this will be efficent?

 

Just to be on the safe side, I'd fire the incubator up now & just let it cook til you're ready to fill it; sometimes those controls can be finicky, even when they haven't been touched since the last hatch. Nothing to lose but a couple day's electric.

3 Little Red Hens (RSL),1 big BCM rooster , & a raft of their youngin's

Not but 3 kinds of snakes I'm afraid of; big ones, little ones, and live ones

Have Crappie rod, will travel

Call me Ken,Whites, Whitey, or Red Dog; just don't call me late for supper

3 Little Red Hens (RSL),1 big BCM rooster , & a raft of their youngin's

Not but 3 kinds of snakes I'm afraid of; big ones, little ones, and live ones

Have Crappie rod, will travel

Call me Ken,Whites, Whitey, or Red Dog; just don't call me late for supper

post #35 of 157631

And now I'm joining up over here! Nice to have a whole bunch of information in one place. 

In our flock: 1 Holland (Martha), 1 d'Uccle (Coreen), 1 BSL (Ethel), 1 RSL (Daisy), 1 Ancona (Duchess), 1 Black Copper Maran (Margherita)

 

Rest in peace Heather Lynn Nieves (1979-2015). You will be missed.

 

Hippie Stink Soap Co. | Creative Vagabond Studios

In our flock: 1 Holland (Martha), 1 d'Uccle (Coreen), 1 BSL (Ethel), 1 RSL (Daisy), 1 Ancona (Duchess), 1 Black Copper Maran (Margherita)

 

Rest in peace Heather Lynn Nieves (1979-2015). You will be missed.

 

Hippie Stink Soap Co. | Creative Vagabond Studios

post #36 of 157631
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiestink View Post
 

And now I'm joining up over here! Nice to have a whole bunch of information in one place. 

WOW! Talk about culture shock...Belgium to Texas!  :welcome 

 

I guess I got that backward...Welcome, anyway


Edited by kwhites634 - 11/1/15 at 12:09pm

3 Little Red Hens (RSL),1 big BCM rooster , & a raft of their youngin's

Not but 3 kinds of snakes I'm afraid of; big ones, little ones, and live ones

Have Crappie rod, will travel

Call me Ken,Whites, Whitey, or Red Dog; just don't call me late for supper

3 Little Red Hens (RSL),1 big BCM rooster , & a raft of their youngin's

Not but 3 kinds of snakes I'm afraid of; big ones, little ones, and live ones

Have Crappie rod, will travel

Call me Ken,Whites, Whitey, or Red Dog; just don't call me late for supper

post #37 of 157631
I'm gonna get in a lot of trouble subscribing here. There will be chicks and eggs everywhere. Like a HAL that never ends! Yeah
post #38 of 157631
Quote:
Originally Posted by slrose24 View Post

the eggs are to keep it stable once the eggs are in it....also, i figured if i kept them in there through the hatch, this would keep the water from being deep enough to drown a chick..... i know the incubator has wells, but this seems easier to alter without disturbing the eggs.

when on lock down would one keep the eggs tilts or place them flat up and down or on there sides?  before this i had my eggs like they would lay in the nest the whole time and im not sure what action i should take when i reach lockdown if using this meythod

During lockdown they should be placed on their side with the largest segment of the aircell up I think. I'm doing my first hatch, so I could be remembering what I read wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhites634 View Post

Just to be on the safe side, I'd fire the incubator up now & just let it cook til you're ready to fill it; sometimes those controls can be finicky, even when they haven't been touched since the last hatch. Nothing to lose but a couple day's electric.

I was gonna say that too. I ran mine for 4 days trying to figure everything out. Though I was using my own eggs so I didn't have to wait on shipped eggs.
Be so happy that when others look at you they become happy too
Be so happy that when others look at you they become happy too
post #39 of 157631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saris View Post


During lockdown they should be placed on their side with the largest segment of the aircell up I think. I'm doing my first hatch, so I could be remembering what I read wrong.
I was gonna say that too. I ran mine for 4 days trying to figure everything out. Though I was using my own eggs so I didn't have to wait on shipped eggs.

that sounds like a good plan! also doesnt hurt to fire it up now i suppose...that way i can test my new water holder.   ha byw it turns out only one of the lids will fit, which means the other will be my backup.  i will just sawp the trays to opposite sides of the lid

post #40 of 157631
So glad you opened this, was getting a bit sad that the Halloween Hatchbwas over. Such amazing people.
3 EEs, 2 BOs, 1 Pair Porcelain D'Uccle, and 2 Polish so far.............. :)
3 EEs, 2 BOs, 1 Pair Porcelain D'Uccle, and 2 Polish so far.............. :)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Incubating & Hatching Eggs
This thread is locked  
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Incubating & Hatching Eggs › INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! come HATCH, LEARN, & Chat! w/hosts, Sally Sunshine & BantyChooks