After viewing Sally's mic stand candler and seeing the proper way to candle, we rigged up a flashlight to a music stand. This is a 320 lumen light with the lens removed so it makes a good seal.
A BCM egg at day 7 (all the pics are day 7). Lights not strong enough to see veins, but we know there is a chick.
Not sure what to think - at first it looked "clear" but the blob inside is dark so I called it questionable and put it back inside.
This one looks very clear, but there is a dark speck moving where the arrow is. This one we left in the incubator.
I ended up taking out 3 eggs that were clear - one easter egger and 2 BCM. I suppose there could have been life in the BCMs I removed, but they were very suspect and the bator was a little over crowded.
The air cells have not changed much, and I started with very fresh eggs so the air cells are small. I did not weigh eggs before starting (oops) - but at least I marked an air cell. I took the plug out so I wouldn't forget. I plan to candle at day 10 and see what to do from there. My hygrometer did not arrive - but the humidity is currently at the very low end on the "incubation range" for my incubator.