- Beak Brokers
Recent Images In This Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- itemBrinsea Mini Advance Incubatortagged by BantyChooks, 1/31/16
- itemBrinsea OvaScope Egg Viewertagged by BantyChooks, 1/31/16
- categoryDuckstagged by BantyChooks, 6/3/16
- brandFarm Innovatorstagged by BantyChooks, 5/17/16
- topicIncubating Hatching Eggstagged by BantyChooks, 7/20/16
- itemLittle Giant Still Air Incubator 9200tagged by BantyChooks, 1/20/16
- itemStorey's Guide to Raising Poultry, 4th Edition: Chickens, Turkeys, Ducks, Geese, Guineas, Gamebirdstagged by Sally Sunshine, 9/10/16
Related Forum Threads
- EDUCATIONAL INCUBATION & HATCHING, w/ Sally Sunshine, learn everything from hatching to... Last post on Today at 8:53 am in Incubating & Hatching Eggs
- My Hatching Journey- The Adventures of a Complete Newbie Last post on Yesterday at 12:24 am in Incubating & Hatching Eggs
- INDIANA BYC'ers HERE! Last post on 10/18/16 at 6:37pm in Where am I? Where are you!
- Diary & Notes ~ Air Cell Detatched SHIPPED Eggs Last post on 11/1/15 at 3:41pm in Incubating & Hatching Eggs
- Ancona Ducks Last post on 10/16/16 at 1:40pm in Ducks
Griffin Nest - Homepage
Last edited: 8/5/16
- Incubation Cheat SheetLast edited: 9/15/12
- Building the BinBatorLast edited: 8/7/16
- Other Backyard Fowl - Ducks, Quail, Turkeys, Geese, Etc.Last edited: 9/4/16
- Building our Duck PondLast edited: 8/18/16
These are my absolute favorite chicken. Each one of them has their own personality, as well as their own unique patterns and colors of "flowers". They will run to you when they see you and come...
I have never had a hen, but my friend bought me one, who was crazy, and then all her chickens got stolen. Then she got another one for herself, and that girl is crazy, and then I got one for me,...
We got 5 BO chicks when we first started out, two of which turned out to be roos, one of which is still alive and he is amazing. Super gentle, especially with younger hens, and is only a little -...
If I was going to have only one breed forever, it would very likely be EE's. If I sit down outside, I've got 5 chickens trying to fit on my lap! They are one of the few chickens I let little kids...
I love my brahmas. My three buff brahmas are BBF's - constantly hanging out - ALL. DAY. LONG. They were raised by a broody hen and are still quite happy to come up and sit in your lap. My light...
INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! come HATCH, LEARN, & Chat! w/hosts, Sally Sunshine & BantyChooks - Page 674post #6731 of 15763112/2/15 at 5:51amYep no Legbar yet.....Working on my Ayam Cemani breeders!!!!Working on my Ayam Cemani breeders!!!!post #6732 of 15763112/2/15 at 6:05amThread Starter
CHOP CHOP!!! lets get this party started!!!
I need to get some party started for you then..... give me some time to drink some more java then me get the party started on tabletop!!post #6733 of 15763112/2/15 at 6:11amQuote:
Don't do it.
As a fellow member of this community, I urge you not to do it.
Serama are one of the hardest breeds to hatch in an incubator. Read these forums and you will learn.
Quality Ayam Cemani cost much more than that, so these are from inferior quality birds, of inferior fertility, or are inferior quality eggs. And the chance of successfully hatching them is low as well.
Find local Craigslist listings like this: https://monroe.craigslist.org/grd/5328737139.html or https://lafayette.craigslist.org/grd/5318337427.html or https://shreveport.craigslist.org/grd/5268184817.html and contact the seller to see if they have roosters with the flock.Search for hatching eggs, fertile eggs, or just eggs, and search nearby areas. Or just visit a local farmers market.post #6734 of 15763112/2/15 at 6:24amQuote:Originally Posted by tao chick
Sally, as for extra lighting: My new hens will not lay. They were used to artificial lighting from 3 am to daybreak. I don't do that. Now that we have shorter days I turn the lights on in the barn (because it's dark/shaded) when I get out there- usually after daybreak anyway. I leave the lights on until I go to bed- usually after 9. My pullets are laying daily, but the hens don't seem to like this schedule. Walnut said the same thing I've heard before. About 15 hours of light helps laying.
That being said, I really don't know what is better. I don't want to mess with the natural cycle. But I'm not trying to profit from the eggs either.
I always did 14 hours over winter on the timer, but wasnt going to it this year, but now so many people are wanting our brahma and CCL not sure if it was the right choice.....
If you turn the lights on at 3 or 4 a.m., rate of lay will pick up in a few weeks. Any girls who are molting won't be negatively affected by the additional light.post #6735 of 15763112/2/15 at 6:30amQuote:Originally Posted by Sally Sunshine
HarmonyAnn said luke messed with the green coolerbator....
SOMEHOW it had gotten too HOT! which means he was fiddlin with the wafer thermostat!!!! and spinnin it!!!!
so I candled the other eggs, looks like at least 3 of the CCL are dead, 5 serama are definitely dead nice big black blobs.... looks like HEAT STROKE TO ME!!!!
I need my CCL to lay I have people that want chickies!!!! I dont want to use supplemental lighting do I?
morning all struggling with a cold this morning . That is what I'm debating right now . weather to light or not if so what to use . what kind of lights I know sidewing put lights on his early on .figured I would research large laying operations and see what they do . but someone on here knows so I don't need to do all that . ok guys give it up what is the answer to Sally's question . I gonna feel really stupid after I post this and read all the answers already posted . got a cold and fever so not all here at the moment . wait a minute that the norm for me right whateverbe careful who you trust believe me just as sure as you do the ones you trust the most might. make a fool of you the road you travel on my be filled with ruts and holes careful where you place your feet you might fall and bust your nose .be careful who you trust believe me just as sure as you do the ones you trust the most might. make a fool of you the road you travel on my be filled with ruts and holes careful where you place your feet you might fall and bust your nose .post #6736 of 15763112/2/15 at 6:33ampost #6737 of 15763112/2/15 at 6:35amThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by BYC910
morning all struggling with a cold this morning . That is what I'm debating right now . weather to light or not if so what to use . what kind of lights I know sidewing put lights on his early on .figured I would research large laying operations and see what they do . but someone on here knows so I don't need to do all that . ok guys give it up what is the answer to Sally's question . I gonna feel really stupid after I post this and read all the answers already posted . got a cold and fever so not all here at the moment . wait a minute that the norm for me right whatever
I am sorry K, I hope you feel better quickly. I am going to light just the CCL up. and let the other coops to hibernate.... I am gonna see if I can beg husband to click my timer on tonight when he goes out for me and make sure its set..... I turn on at 3am and it helps me as well because I am a very early riser and I can have light to feed when I go out as well. it was a pain so at least I can see in one coop without my headlamp.post #6738 of 15763112/2/15 at 6:36amThread StarterQuote:
you cant spend that kinda money on shipped eggs to start, that is too much money ch
you need to practice more ok?post #6739 of 15763112/2/15 at 6:38ampost #6740 of 15763112/2/15 at 6:43amQuote:actually it wasn't.my dad doesn't have a job no more so we are struggling.they cant get me eggs or anything like that.so I was sailing some of my stuff to make me some money.to be able to pay for them myself
Edited by chicken hawk 33 - 12/2/15 at 6:44am
This thread is locked
- INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! come HATCH, LEARN, & Chat! w/hosts, Sally Sunshine & BantyChooks
- Incubation Cheat Sheet
- › Crap, not again! Please help!! 13 seconds ago
- › The Duck Thread 35 seconds ago
- › What is this chicken thinking? 39 seconds ago
- › Did you know..... Chat Thread! W/ Hosts: DwayneNLiz,... 54 seconds ago
- › *Hidden Nature* A Shapeshifting RP 1 minute ago
- › brinsea eco 20 semi auto 1 minute ago
- › *In the Arctic* A Fox RP 1 minute ago
- › Baby Chick Pictures!!!!! POST! 3 minutes ago
- › Production reds vs hatchery rhode island reds? 3 minutes ago
- › PUMPKIN CARVING Contest- Halloween Hatch-a-Long 2016 w/ Hosts,... 4 minutes ago
- › Swedish Flower chicken by cree57i
- › Speckled Sussex by PeepersMama
- › Orpington by PeepersMama
- › Easter Eggers by PeepersMama
- › Brahma by PeepersMama
- › Barred Rock by PeepersMama
- › Freedom Ranger by bobhoke
- › Ideal Poultry salmon faverolles by mangobees
- › Chick-N-Hutch Chicken Hutch - 1490 by The Duck Ladie
- › Silver Appleyard by hooktontravel
- › Clucksville School district Student/Teacher age
- › Chicken Exhibitions and Showing: How to get...
- › Glossary of Chicken Terms
- › -Feathers-Rp member page
- › ~The Quackers- Past and Present~
- › New to Chickens and don't know witch...
- › Wound Care for chickens.
- › Autumn and chickens.
- › Don't Know Where To Find/Ask/Post...
- › A Flock Tale