New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Treating hookworms - Page 7

post #61 of 66
Thread Starter 
Just an update since today is the last day of a 3 week treatment with Corid for my chickens. As the dose has decreased I have seen a bit of the yello, foamy stools return. I'd say that probably 90-95% of the time their stools look normal. I am planning on having a fecal checked tomorrow to see what their cocci/worm load looks like. I did find some Baycox and ordered it through a bearded dragon sight so this will be my next step for coccidiosis treatment of their fecal still shows a lot. Supposedly this would be a 2 day treatment. Since the new set of birds have gone through 2 rounds of treatment with Corid already I am wondering if the coccidia could be resistant to it? Anyone have any other thoughts or advice???
post #62 of 66
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by casportpony View Post

I give it undiluted at 0.02ml per 100 grams. This is in addition to their medicated water.

-Kathy

Last week was the last week for the Corid treatment and I started to see some yellow, foamy stools again. I took a stool sample to the vet which still showed some coccidia though not in as great of an amount as before. I started the chickens on Baycox today which is a 2 days treatment. I wonder if I should follow that with another round of oral doses of Corid? I feel like we are fighting an uphill battle. Also is there anything I can sanitize their run with? I've read ammonia is the only thing that kills the oocysts but I saw something from the UK? I am running out of ideas.
post #63 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by corri View Post


 Also is there anything I can sanitize their run with? I've read ammonia is the only thing that kills the oocysts but I saw something from the UK? I am running out of ideas.


is your run well drained or dump?

 

if you have wood ash throw it to the run, it will keep it dry. another thing that helps is sawdust. if there is a sawmill or any other factory that cuts wood in your area they might give you sawdust for free. I use it for bedding in my coop and it is always dry. my chickens dustbathe in sawdust as well especially on the sunny days.

 

I use limestone to sanitize the run but I don't know if it kills the oocysts.

post #64 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrnaf2 View Post


If you can't find a veterinarian dewormer, you could do what I have done here successful and use a human dewormer. I have used mebendazole or in its generic name- Vermox
Reed this link
http://www.rxlist.com/vermox-drug.htm
The dosage is 30mg/kg buddy Weight and another time after 10 dayes.
Good luck
Benny
Edited by Akrnaf2 - 10/29/15 at 5:46am


I wormed my chickens with levamisole but it didn't kill minute tape worms. vermox did! thank you very much!

 

what is withdrawal time for eggs?

post #65 of 66
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickengr View Post


is your run well drained or dump?

if you have wood ash throw it to the run, it will keep it dry. another thing that helps is sawdust. if there is a sawmill or any other factory that cuts wood in your area they might give you sawdust for free. I use it for bedding in my coop and it is always dry. my chickens dustbathe in sawdust as well especially on the sunny days.

I use limestone to sanitize the run but I don't know if it kills the oocysts.
We burn wood so there is wood ash in there but unfortunately once it's wet it seems to stay wet. sad.png And being winter in Michigan we have had nothing but wet weather lately and the run is staying damp. I have been sanitizing the coop and letting them free range as much as possible. I was thinking of using sweet PDZ in the run but I would need a lot of it. Sigh....I guess this is just going to be an ongoing battle until they either build up a tolerance or they don't make it. sad.png
post #66 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by corri View Post


We burn wood so there is wood ash in there but unfortunately once it's wet it seems to stay wet. sad.png And being winter in Michigan we have had nothing but wet weather lately and the run is staying damp. I have been sanitizing the coop and letting them free range as much as possible. I was thinking of using sweet PDZ in the run but I would need a lot of it. Sigh....I guess this is just going to be an ongoing battle until they either build up a tolerance or they don't make it. sad.png


you can put some oregano oil in their water. once a week you can put acv and garlic in their water. just don't put it all the time.

 

you can join this group on fb: https://www.facebook.com/groups/herbalpoultrycare/?fref=nf

 

I use herbs, etc. to prevent and keep under control deceases but when my chickens are sick I do use medicines.

 

you can chop garlic, put in any kind of oi and heat it (but not boil). mix it with their feed. once a month is enough. this is an old recipe for protozoa in chickens. little garlic once in a while will help. to much garlic will harm chickens, just like any medicine would do.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home