BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Other BackYard Poultry › Ducks › Duck sitting on VERY late eggs! Will the babies live?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Duck sitting on VERY late eggs! Will the babies live?

post #1 of 4
Thread Starter 
It's getting towards winter, and I live in western NY, (it can get below -20* here during late winter months) and my mallard hen went missing, or so we thought. Our ducks are on a separate property with our other large animals including 6 other ducks, 2 goats, 2 pigs, and 4 horses. Finally we saw her one day while doing animal chores and followed her to some fencing with no gaps propped up against the barn wall exterior. We were really happy to see her especially since she is our only hen until we spotted her eggs.

Will they freeze? This is her second batch but the first she's ever sat on. Will she care for them? Please help! Any input is more than pleasing for my family and I. big_smile.png
post #2 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunkin View Post

It's getting towards winter, and I live in western NY, (it can get below -20* here during late winter months) and my mallard hen went missing, or so we thought. Our ducks are on a separate property with our other large animals including 6 other ducks, 2 goats, 2 pigs, and 4 horses. Finally we saw her one day while doing animal chores and followed her to some fencing with no gaps propped up against the barn wall exterior. We were really happy to see her especially since she is our only hen until we spotted her eggs.

Will they freeze? This is her second batch but the first she's ever sat on. Will she care for them? Please help! Any input is more than pleasing for my family and I. big_smile.png

It is getting too late in the season and soon too cold for ducklings to survive outdoors.  Should the eggs hatch the hen will try to take care of her brood, but, unless the weather stays unseasonably warm, there isn't much chance for survival.  I'd put hen and ducklings in a sheltered environment with a bit of heat. 

 

It surprises me that a mallard would be nesting now in N.Y. this late.

post #3 of 4
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nchls school View Post

It is getting too late in the season and soon too cold for ducklings to survive outdoors.  Should the eggs hatch the hen will try to take care of her brood, but, unless the weather stays unseasonably warm, there isn't much chance for survival.  I'd put hen and ducklings in a sheltered environment with a bit of heat. 

It surprises me that a mallard would be nesting now in N.Y. this late.

Me as well! I did t think that she would even be broody till she was older. We got her in May I believe, would she leave the nest if we moved it?
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunkin View Post


Me as well! I did t think that she would even be broody till she was older. We got her in May I believe, would she leave the nest if we moved it?

Yes, more than likely the hen would abandon her nest if moved.  Could this be a rowen duck instead of a mallard?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ducks
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Other BackYard Poultry › Ducks › Duck sitting on VERY late eggs! Will the babies live?