New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Dealing with respiratory infection

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
Two weeks ago I found one of my pullets roosting on top of the coop alone, gasping, and all puffed up. I was given amoxicillin by a vet, but she still passed away. A second pullet began gasping, and the vet gave me tylan 100 and panacur to be given for 6 days. My flock finished their course of meds a week or so ago, all of them fine. Yesterday, I found a pullet gasping very slightly. I put her in isolation. She's not eating, will drink very little on her own. She stands with her eyes closed most of the time, and can only open them a little. She feels strong still, she just obviously feels awful. She coughs, but I haven't heard sneezing. I can hear some rattly-mucousy stuff. I don't see any discharge.
All of this crap is making the rounds through the 4 month old or so birds. The older hens and roosters are fine, the ducks are fine.
I can't afford the test to find out for sure what my birds have, but maybe someone on here has been through the same thing, and can offer advice. Maybe even encouragement. Because I am SAD, y'all. SAD.
I'm afraid that I'll lose all of my young birds, and they really are so much sushine for me.
Anyway, my questions:
Is that tylan 100 even a good idea? I mean, I'm doing it a second time for a little hen, and I am almost sure I shouldn't have because maybe I am making a super disease or something, but I was in a panic. I want to save her.
Is all hope for a healthy flock lost?
If the worst happens, and I lose my whole flock, will I ever be able to have chickens again? Or is it likely that there is some evil, undying virus/bacteria/devil all over my property just WAITING for happy little chickens?
Is there anything I can do to help the symptomatic bird in addition to the antibiotics?
Oh, please help.
post #2 of 7

I'm sorry I do not have experience with this. Hopefully someone with more experience will respond soon.

 

This is all I can do :hugs

post #3 of 7


Seems like a bit of a sticky situation you are in - sorry for that. Even if the birds recover from whatever it may be, they are likely to be carriers for life (assuming its viral) and will thus come down with the illness in the future but more importantly they will infect any new additions to your flock. 

 

I hope you don't mind me being what may be considered a little harsh, but i would cull the whole flock, disinfect your coop and get new stock next spring. I did not do that with my flock (which has a chronic respiratory issue) and i regret it as i cannot give / sell any of my chickens which is frustrating.

 

Good luck in whatever you decide

 

CT

Nairobi, Kenya
Reply
Nairobi, Kenya
Reply
post #4 of 7

Have you talked to your state veterinary path lab?  The cost of testing my be way less than the cost of chronic illness or loosing the flock, and without a diagnosis it's hard to give useful advice.  Mary

post #5 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyorp Rock View Post

I'm sorry I do not have experience with this. Hopefully someone with more experience will respond soon.

This is all I can do hugs.gif

Thanks for that!
post #6 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTKen View Post


Seems like a bit of a sticky situation you are in - sorry for that. Even if the birds recover from whatever it may be, they are likely to be carriers for life (assuming its viral) and will thus come down with the illness in the future but more importantly they will infect any new additions to your flock. 

I hope you don't mind me being what may be considered a little harsh, but i would cull the whole flock, disinfect your coop and get new stock next spring. I did not do that with my flock (which has a chronic respiratory issue) and i regret it as i cannot give / sell any of my chickens which is frustrating.

Good luck in whatever you decide

CT

I'm not concerned with being able to give away or sell any of my chickens, but I do understand where you're coming from. I just want a little flock for my own enjoyment, I am happy to have some eggs, but happy still when there are none. Thanks for your reply, I did consider doing that for a time, but...not for me.
post #7 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folly's place View Post

Have you talked to your state veterinary path lab?  The cost of testing my be way less than the cost of chronic illness or loosing the flock, and without a diagnosis it's hard to give useful advice.  Mary

I spoke with a veterinarian at the USDA this morning (did you kmow they would do that!? I DIDN'T!), and after lots of questions, he said this sounds bacterial rather than viral, and also like a manageable/treatable thing. If other birds get sick, I'll have a hard choice to make. Anyway, after talking to the vet, I feel better. I'm doimg all the right things, and I may lose some of my pullets but the older ones have never been sick so seem to have immune systems that can handle it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home