I need to get to know someone that can take me mushrooming--I've had locally harvested chanterelles and lobster mushrooms, but fungi are something I'm paranoid enough about to not try to learn on my own! We were supposed to learn some edible plants on the fieldtrip yesterday, but the only plant (that I was close enough to the front of the pack to hear about, at least) that I know was shown was redwood sorrel, which I already somewhat suspected was what I already knew as sour grass (thanks to elementary outdoor school at Silver Falls (though everyone calls it Silvercreek Falls, the shorter name is the official one)--the taste just confirmed it. I predict nibbling on future hikes since I know it's what I thought it was
Morels are REASONABLY safe for beginners. There is one poisonous one that has ruffles and ridges that really doesn't look like a morel. There is a false morel that while it has ridges on the cap, the stem and attachment are completely different. And there are half cap morels where the stem is attached halfway up the inside of the cap that are not the best to eat. The true morels, when cut top to bottom through the stem, are completely hollow and the cap and stem are seamless.
They do want and need thorough cooking. I generally sautée up a few to go with steaks, and dry the rest and put them in pasta or gravy as needed.