BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Incubating & Hatching Eggs › Noob here, malfunctioning incubator- help me?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Noob here, malfunctioning incubator- help me?

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
I have 10 duck eggs in a still air incubator. They have been in for two weeks and are doing well. I bought another still air incubator for another 2 dozen eggs but it's not working- the temp even spiked to 105 the day after I put them in there. Will that temperature spike hurt them this early on? Now the temperature won't stay at 99.5. More like 85. I just sat them in incubator last night.

Next question. Can I put the new eggs in with the ones that have been incubating for 2 weeks? Or since they have different hatch rates is that a bad idea? I think I'll have to turn the temp down the last couple days before hatching so can they not be together?

Thanks for any help! I've never hatched eggs before.
post #2 of 8
Did you get control board wet? Washing it?

I got mine wet and temp spiked. .
Too it over to air hose and blew the moisture out.. now works fine..
Could be your problem idk
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoandhelp View Post

I have 10 duck eggs in a still air incubator. They have been in for two weeks and are doing well. I bought another still air incubator for another 2 dozen eggs but it's not working- the temp even spiked to 105 the day after I put them in there. Will that temperature spike hurt them this early on? Now the temperature won't stay at 99.5. More like 85. I just sat them in incubator last night.

Next question. Can I put the new eggs in with the ones that have been incubating for 2 weeks? Or since they have different hatch rates is that a bad idea? I think I'll have to turn the temp down the last couple days before hatching so can they not be together?

Thanks for any help! I've never hatched eggs before.


No it's a bad idea to put 2 different hatches in the same incubator.

It will affect the younger ones.


Edited by youngchooklover - 11/16/15 at 4:07pm
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngchooklover View Post


No it's a bad idea to put 2 different hatches in the same incubator.
It will affect the younger ones.
he's gonna use second incubator for hatcher.. right?
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod-T View Post


he's gonna use second incubator for hatcher.. right?


Well yes but the older ducks would bully the young ones and will teach them about mating early in there life.

But if you have 2 brooders it should be fine.


Edited by youngchooklover - 11/16/15 at 4:13pm
post #6 of 8
Thread Starter 
I'm taking the one that doesn't work back. I didnt get it wet- I think it's just not a good quality. I will separate them once they hatch for sure, I just didn't know if they could be in same incubator until then? Or will it hurt the younger eggs if I turn temp down a bit. I will have two browsers when they hatch
post #7 of 8
Thread Starter 
Two BROODERS my bad.
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoandhelp View Post

I'm taking the one that doesn't work back. I didnt get it wet- I think it's just not a good quality. I will separate them once they hatch for sure, I just didn't know if they could be in same incubator until then? Or will it hurt the younger eggs if I turn temp down a bit. I will have two browsers when they hatch


Ok then it should be fine! :thumbsup

It could not to sure.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Incubating & Hatching Eggs
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Incubating & Hatching Eggs › Noob here, malfunctioning incubator- help me?