BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Social › Where am I? Where are you! › Surviving Minnesota!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Surviving Minnesota! - Page 561

post #5601 of 16950
Quote:
Originally Posted by holm25 View Post

I am so excited!! One of the new cows is starting to bag up!!

 

When are they due?  What breed were they again?  How exciting!!!

post #5602 of 16950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhetts View Post

When are they due?  What breed were they again?  How exciting!!!

Lol they are due... Umm... I guess I dont know for sure... We got them from a guy who got them from an auction... The guy is a cow jockey... But I think they r due between march and may.

There is 3 black cows, 4 red cows and 1 red baldy with tiny red flecks all over her white face. These r all bred to black angus bull. So this year there should be somw baldies in the mix.
post #5603 of 16950
Quote:
Originally Posted by holm25 View Post


Lol they are due... Umm... I guess I dont know for sure... We got them from a guy who got them from an auction... The guy is a cow jockey... But I think they r due between march and may.

There is 3 black cows, 4 red cows and 1 red baldy with tiny red flecks all over her white face. These r all bred to black angus bull. So this year there should be somw baldies in the mix.

 

 

Sounds exciting!  

 

 

The highlands we have on property look like they are starting to show signs of parturition.  DH said he saw a tiny bit of goo the other day from one of them.  I was looking them over today and one looks like the two back teats are filling up and the front ones are not filled.  Definitely obvious.  I also saw the baby move big time in her so that was reassuring.   Looking forward to seeing these wooly babies!!

post #5604 of 16950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhetts View Post


Sounds exciting!  


The highlands we have on property look like they are starting to show signs of parturition.  DH said he saw a tiny bit of goo the other day from one of them.  I was looking them over today and one looks like the two back teats are filling up and the front ones are not filled.  Definitely obvious.  I also saw the baby move big time in her so that was reassuring.   Looking forward to seeing these wooly babies!!

Oh I saw a Highland CCP at the state fair and they were so cute! Not big enough for us though... We have 5 kids and two adluts here so we go through alot of beef...


Hopefully these highlands are faster than the herefies were!! Cant wait!

Also the can start having discharge up to a month before calving so it could be awhile.☺
Edited by holm25 - 2/16/16 at 10:54am
post #5605 of 16950

Fine with me if they wait a month.   :)   Still too cold to me for babies to come.  I would like to see a little warmer temps.  Projected to get -10 still tonight and single digits off an on through the week.  I would like nighttime temps in double digits if possible before calves come.  wishful thinking maybe.  March would be a good month for calves I think.

post #5606 of 16950
Quote:
Originally Posted by duluthralphie View Post
 

I was doing the same things with her, Massaging her neck and leg and doing a gentle range of motion on the leg.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by duluthralphie View Post
 

I was doing the same things with her, Massaging her neck and leg and doing a gentle range of motion on the leg.


I haven't had too much time to read ahead yet this a.m. Ralphie. I would have - eventually began this therapy but when you told me what you were doing it inspired me to do it with tenacity. I am sure she does not have splayed leg but more of a deformity. She has the splayed leg splint deal on and seems to be sitting up straighter this afternoon. I have observed her staying with the roos a little more. Yesterday is was mainly her alone laying somewhere on her side. Today she seems to struggle her way to where they are (she has to use her wings for balance) or they are snuggling with her. And she seems to be sitting up just a little straighter. Hopeful.

post #5607 of 16950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogtown Chick View Post

I just searched a little bit: wry neck. 5leepy & lacrystol seems to have had good results with vitamin E and polyvisol drops in the first 5 days and hand feeding a to keep them eating (as there's mechanical diificulty in that) by wetting the chick starter. And she said it seems like there's days of no improvement then all of a sudden the neck comes around. The leg being off maybe as a result of the neck. But maybe seperate too.

Ralphie I don't think you are to blame. I think these things happen and it's in a higher persons hands as to how these chicks come out of the egg. Perhaps it was a struggle with the zipping because the chick already had the condition. That's what I think personally.


Plus I get to mother her. I wanted some chicks RIGHT NOW so you and Judy were wise to entice me into nursing her. She sure is bright eyed and chirps loudly enough when she does not like something. Its just the way it is. Things happen - and we met (which I like) and I get to mother (which I like.)

post #5608 of 16950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogtown Chick View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee 1st View Post

Ohh my. Look at what my strawberry laid for me today.. Poor girl it was Huge,. I accidentally cracked the top the shell was softer then usual ,, So I had to eat it smile.png.


That Strawberry is something Else.  :love  I do believe she will be a hen you'll remember always coffee.  Poor girl indeed. LOL

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogtown Chick View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee 1st View Post

Ohh my. Look at what my strawberry laid for me today.. Poor girl it was Huge,. I accidentally cracked the top the shell was softer then usual ,, So I had to eat it smile.png.


That Strawberry is something Else.  :love  I do believe she will be a hen you'll remember always coffee.  Poor girl indeed. LOL


Oh Ouch! That one hurt!

post #5609 of 16950
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryse View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlopKlop View Post
 

we are trying to come up with a logo for our farm to use on our cartons and to make a sign for our farmers market booth and this is my first draft.  I am not a graphic designer, but i can fiddle in MSPaint haha

 

I am still looking for just the right font for the name of our farm to add to it.  what do you guys think??

 

You might want another logo . I read that as cock hound .

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryse View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlopKlop View Post
 

we are trying to come up with a logo for our farm to use on our cartons and to make a sign for our farmers market booth and this is my first draft.  I am not a graphic designer, but i can fiddle in MSPaint haha

 

I am still looking for just the right font for the name of our farm to add to it.  what do you guys think??

 

You might want another logo . I read that as cock hound .


I like the silhouette - I just dunno what it means. Are you breeding dogs and chickens, just selling eggs? What is it you will do on your farm that you want to sell? My disclaimer: its the past marketing career that brings the questions out in me.

post #5610 of 16950

OK here is a thought on waiting time on switching rooster . I have said I remove and save for another week then add a new rooster and wait a week before saving . My friend John Blehm likes to say the daddy is the rooster who bred her yesterday . The reason being that a hen can store semen but last semen in is the first out or used . So the oldest semen expires without being used . You will get all kinds of opinions on this . I did my own test . I have kept setting eggs after removing the rooster . By day 10 fertility dropped and all clear at 14 days . Yes you can get fertility past that but it is rare . I do not trust the bullseye test on eating eggs . I go by development . So for me this works fine . I can usually tell any crosses at hatch . I will remove my white rooster from the black hens today . Getting ready for the next rooster . I will put the Erminett colored rooster in next . I can tell Erminett color at hatch . He will produce 50% Erminett color and 50% blacks from black hens . Blacks will go to the sale barn as EE . 


Edited by jerryse - 2/16/16 at 12:05pm
Charter member of the Ameraucana Alliance. Helped develop the breed.
Reply
Charter member of the Ameraucana Alliance. Helped develop the breed.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Where am I? Where are you!
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Social › Where am I? Where are you! › Surviving Minnesota!