Originally Posted by izziebean
So... Happy continues to improve, but still is struggling a bit. Meredith is hanging on. I was able to give her some more water this evening twice.. both times with electrolytes. She perks up about halfway through giving fluids. I put a ton of scratch feed in my hand and she went crazy for it. So I made some mash of her normal food plus that and she ate some. Fell back asleep. She was so out of it when I woke her for the next fluids. Gave her more fluids. When I set her in own little coop, she went straight for the food. So I left her eating. The rooster, Don King, was so out of it earlier. Since the roosters all reside alone together, there really hasn't been much fighting. Don has always been top roo though and tonight his brother was pulling on his top feathers (they are both polish). I scolded Oliver and he is leaving him alone. I found Don eating and I feel a bit of something digesting in his crop so I think there is still hope.
Now a couple of the other hens are looking a bit frazzled. I think whatever this is is just making its way through the flock. Happy was the worst off when I started antibiotics and she is making a recovery so maybe there is hope that they can fight off whatever this is. She drinks a lot of water though.. which I think has been helping a lot.
Izzy, along with your tylan treatment, why don't you try some multi-vitamins in their water. The B vitamins would help perk them up, but I would look for a supplement for water with a wide range of all the vitamins. I'd give them some extra C also, either in fruit, like grape or tomato, or a broken up C pill and pop a piece in the back of the beak daily for a few days. For the respiratory breathing problems look for something called VetRX at Tractor Supply. It's sort of like a chicken Vicks vapor rub is the way I think of it. Warm it up a bit and follow the directions. Another thing you can try that might help with their mucus problems is organic apple cider vinegar. Added to the water I have read it helps to cut through the mucus in their throats. I think it is a tablespoon per gallon water. Make sure you use the one with the "mother" though. And warming up the coop is always a good idea when dealing with sick birds, just like sick people, don't want all their energy being spent on keeping warm.
Was your garage damp or moldy? Fungus or mold spores are everywhere and more prevalent in some areas like damp places. Fungal infections can cause the same type symptoms that viral or bacterial can and are much harder to treat if they can be treated at all. Not saying that is what is happening but something you should be aware of, as all chicken owners should. Our birds are subjected to old feed, sometimes moldy, moldy hay and are constantly digging around in the dirt where spores are. Most chicken immune systems can handle it, but if overwhelmed for some reason, or exposed to certain molds, cannot. In my area, this summer was particularly bad. Hot and humid, I noticed fungus popping up everywhere in the yard and the spilled feed would mold in a matter of days in the weather. It was awful.
You may want to read up at this site when you have time. It has much helpful information on medications and a link on the side on fungal infections. If your chickens do not improve, you may very well be dealing with a fungal infection. Oxine is helpful in the water as a preventative, but for treatment I think I might opt for the oil of oregano. It is supposed to be a potent anti fungal, anti viral, anti bacterial remedy (lady at the health store was very up on it), but I think it is a long term treatment option. It is very bitter and the oil would have to be diluted quite a bit with their water in order for them to drink it. The following site also suggest administering it by steam inhalation or nebulization. Anyway here is the link:
Is your vet going to do cultures on your dead bird to find the cause? That would be very helpful seeing as how so many are becoming ill. Fungal infections generally are not contagious, so all your birds would have had to be exposed heavily for it to be that (that's just my thinking), so I am thinking viral or bacterial, but please let us know what you find.
Going back to the vitamin/mineral addition, I did find where a Vit A deficiency can cause respiratory illness and drowsiness, etc. I would look for an addition to their water/diet along with what you are doing.
Edited by MrsBachbach - 11/22/15 at 12:16pm