BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Other BackYard Poultry › Ducks › Need help with Pekin duck
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Need help with Pekin duck - Page 2

post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelligb View Post


The one in the picture isn't acting like himself. He's been laying down all day and to himself. The other 2 that have some spots also seem to be fine

I'm going to pull a @casportpony and ask how his poop looks? is he eating good

casportpony is our resident member who is interested in poop because it can tell alot about our birds and how they are doing.

 

Are you sure this one is a drake? did you give them any niacin or Brewers yeast when they first started? When he walks does his legs shake or do they look bowlegged?  Just trying to get an idea of what this could be other than the spots. 

 Western N.C ~ 17 chickens= EE's, Game, variety of bantams,1Light Brahma, 2 Black Australorps . 5 Muscovy ducks, 8 Indian Runners and 2 Buff Orpington Ducks, 1 Embden gander,1 Toulouse goose , 3 mini Dachshunds, 2 mixed breed, pond goldfish,  and a wonderful Husband who makes it all possible..

 

http://www.faithpot.com/you-cover-me/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email...

Reply

 Western N.C ~ 17 chickens= EE's, Game, variety of bantams,1Light Brahma, 2 Black Australorps . 5 Muscovy ducks, 8 Indian Runners and 2 Buff Orpington Ducks, 1 Embden gander,1 Toulouse goose , 3 mini Dachshunds, 2 mixed breed, pond goldfish,  and a wonderful Husband who makes it all possible..

 

http://www.faithpot.com/you-cover-me/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email...

Reply
post #12 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Lydia View Post

I'm going to pull a @casportpony
and ask how his poop looks? is he eating good
casportpony is our resident member who is interested in poop because it can tell alot about our birds and how they are doing.

Are you sure this one is a drake? did you give them any niacin or Brewers yeast when they first started? When he walks does his legs shake or do they look bowlegged?  Just trying to get an idea of what this could be other than the spots. 
He's eating good. We just give them the food we get from the feed store and nothing else. I'm pretty sure this one is a drake because he's getting a drake feather and the others are not. His poop I'm not sure about. The other 2 have spots also but not as bad as him. The 3 ducks we already had outside don't have the spots. They are in separate pins, the 3 older and the 3 that are 2 months old.
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelligb View Post


He's eating good. We just give them the food we get from the feed store and nothing else. I'm pretty sure this one is a drake because he's getting a drake feather and the others are not. His poop I'm not sure about. The other 2 have spots also but not as bad as him. The 3 ducks we already had outside don't have the spots. They are in separate pins, the 3 older and the 3 that are 2 months old.

I'd think about getting some poultry vitamins and giving it to them in their water. I just bought some today from TSC The name is Rooster Booster Vitamins and electrolytes with Lacto Bacillus.  [probiotics] Sometimes especially when they are growing their fastest they need more nutrients than their feed can give them especially if it's formulated for chicks and not ducklings. Water fowl need more of the B's especially B3[niacin] and a deficiency  can cause lameness and neurological problems It doesn't sound like yours have these problems but we see it alot in Pekins because they really grow fast.  We usually rec you start them on B3[niacin] at hatch or as soon as they are delivered from a hatchery. To help keep them from having these problems. So even though yours are older they can still benefit from vitamins electrolytes and probiotics.  I also use them during molt .As for the spots stay tuned more Pekin owners will be on tomorrow and hopefully along with what has been said tonight you can feel much better about the spots.  Look through this thread at others pics of their Pekins maybe you'll even see some that have spots like yours. 

 Western N.C ~ 17 chickens= EE's, Game, variety of bantams,1Light Brahma, 2 Black Australorps . 5 Muscovy ducks, 8 Indian Runners and 2 Buff Orpington Ducks, 1 Embden gander,1 Toulouse goose , 3 mini Dachshunds, 2 mixed breed, pond goldfish,  and a wonderful Husband who makes it all possible..

 

http://www.faithpot.com/you-cover-me/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email...

Reply

 Western N.C ~ 17 chickens= EE's, Game, variety of bantams,1Light Brahma, 2 Black Australorps . 5 Muscovy ducks, 8 Indian Runners and 2 Buff Orpington Ducks, 1 Embden gander,1 Toulouse goose , 3 mini Dachshunds, 2 mixed breed, pond goldfish,  and a wonderful Husband who makes it all possible..

 

http://www.faithpot.com/you-cover-me/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email...

Reply
post #14 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Lydia View Post

I'd think about getting some poultry vitamins and giving it to them in their water. I just bought some today from TSC The name is Rooster Booster Vitamins and electrolytes with Lacto Bacillus.  [probiotics] Sometimes especially when they are growing their fastest they need more nutrients than their feed can give them especially if it's formulated for chicks and not ducklings. Water fowl need more of the B's especially B3[niacin] and a deficiency  can cause lameness and neurological problems It doesn't sound like yours have these problems but we see it alot in Pekins because they really grow fast.  We usually rec you start them on B3[niacin] at hatch or as soon as they are delivered from a hatchery. To help keep them from having these problems. So even though yours are older they can still benefit from vitamins electrolytes and probiotics.  I also use them during molt .As for the spots stay tuned more Pekin owners will be on tomorrow and hopefully along with what has been said tonight you can feel much better about the spots.  Look through this thread at others pics of their Pekins maybe you'll even see some that have spots like yours. 
Thank you for the helpful information, I really appreciate your help
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelligb View Post


Thank you for the helpful information, I really appreciate your help

Sorry I thought we were on the Pekin Duck Club thread here it is  http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/742668/pekin-duck-club


Edited by Miss Lydia - 11/20/15 at 6:32am

 Western N.C ~ 17 chickens= EE's, Game, variety of bantams,1Light Brahma, 2 Black Australorps . 5 Muscovy ducks, 8 Indian Runners and 2 Buff Orpington Ducks, 1 Embden gander,1 Toulouse goose , 3 mini Dachshunds, 2 mixed breed, pond goldfish,  and a wonderful Husband who makes it all possible..

 

http://www.faithpot.com/you-cover-me/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email...

Reply

 Western N.C ~ 17 chickens= EE's, Game, variety of bantams,1Light Brahma, 2 Black Australorps . 5 Muscovy ducks, 8 Indian Runners and 2 Buff Orpington Ducks, 1 Embden gander,1 Toulouse goose , 3 mini Dachshunds, 2 mixed breed, pond goldfish,  and a wonderful Husband who makes it all possible..

 

http://www.faithpot.com/you-cover-me/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email...

Reply
post #16 of 18

Sorry, I wasn't on last night at all.  Your youngest ducks need a Niacin source added to their food.  Can you peek in their mouth to see if the spots are in there, too?  I've read it's a sign of some sort of deficiency and the change in environment can cause the symptoms to show up.  Any time they go through a change (since ducks are very attached to their routines), adding unfiltered apple cider vinegar with mother to their water is helpful.  One tablespoon per gallon a couple of times per week.  Adding the Rooster Booster that Miss Lydia mentioned, could also help.

Love my family...8 ducks, 4 cats, 2 dogs, a boyfriend, grown-up son & BYC lamps!

Check out new BYC photo contest:

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1124563/official-byc-contest-post-your-best-poultry-dust-bathing-pics/0_30  

Helpful general duck info for newbies:  http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/256233/ducks-sticky-topics-index

Link to Metzer duck breed comparison chart:  http://www.metze...

Reply

Love my family...8 ducks, 4 cats, 2 dogs, a boyfriend, grown-up son & BYC lamps!

Check out new BYC photo contest:

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1124563/official-byc-contest-post-your-best-poultry-dust-bathing-pics/0_30  

Helpful general duck info for newbies:  http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/256233/ducks-sticky-topics-index

Link to Metzer duck breed comparison chart:  http://www.metze...

Reply
post #17 of 18
Pictures of poop please. big_smile.png

-Kathy
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by casportpony View Post

Pictures of poop please. big_smile.png

-Kathy

@kelligb

 Western N.C ~ 17 chickens= EE's, Game, variety of bantams,1Light Brahma, 2 Black Australorps . 5 Muscovy ducks, 8 Indian Runners and 2 Buff Orpington Ducks, 1 Embden gander,1 Toulouse goose , 3 mini Dachshunds, 2 mixed breed, pond goldfish,  and a wonderful Husband who makes it all possible..

 

http://www.faithpot.com/you-cover-me/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email...

Reply

 Western N.C ~ 17 chickens= EE's, Game, variety of bantams,1Light Brahma, 2 Black Australorps . 5 Muscovy ducks, 8 Indian Runners and 2 Buff Orpington Ducks, 1 Embden gander,1 Toulouse goose , 3 mini Dachshunds, 2 mixed breed, pond goldfish,  and a wonderful Husband who makes it all possible..

 

http://www.faithpot.com/you-cover-me/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email...

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ducks
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Other BackYard Poultry › Ducks › Need help with Pekin duck