I have 3 mallard eggs that I am incubating. I have never hatched eggs and am using a homemade incubator so it was a longshot trying to hatch these as I have 0 experience.
It is now day 30 and in about 6 hours they will have been in the incubator for 30 complete days. Not one of them has internally pipped, but they are all alive and moving. I even did the float test today to confirm they were alive.
Just so you know, in the upcoming pictures, the horizontal pencil line is where the air sac was traced when I put them into lockdown (about 5 days ago) and the pictures were taken about 30 minutes ago.
Egg 1: 58.1g starting weight
A big change in air sac size since lockdown. Still some clear space and veins in between the duckling and the air sac.
Air sac size
Egg 2: 63.8g starting weight
Blurry picture but this egg looks very bad. There is a large clear space with tons of veins showing on one half of the egg, and there has been very minimal decline in the air sac size since lockdown, which leads me to believe there is under-development and he is way behind schedule. It is still alive inside, however. I will add that #2 is a much bigger egg in size comparison with the others and weighed much more than the others.
Egg #3: 56.3g starting weight
By far the best egg of the three and the one I've had the highest hopes for since week 2 because of it's growth. The embryo takes up pretty much the entire shell and the air sac has lost a ton of size since lockdown.
As you can see in the picture, I'm almost 100% positive that the triangle to the right of the vertical pencil line is it's bill trying to push the the membrane and internally pip.
I am going to definitely take the fault for this hatch and say that low temperatures were to blame (1 morning I woke up and the temperature inside the incubator was 88*F so maybe that night delayed their growth). I kept very close watch on the eggs' weight during incubation and they had lost exactly 14% of their weight when I put them into lockdown so it was not a humidity issue. Has anybody had such a delayed hatch time before, and if so were the chicks able to survive? How long should I give them before either giving up or intervening and pipping for them? I have a feeling that egg number 3 is going to internally pip soon, but #1 looks days out, and #2 looks very far out.