BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Chicken Breeds › What Breed Or Gender is This? › What breed is this rooster?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What breed is this rooster?

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 

This big boy literally wandered into my yard. We had seen him and two others up on the main road for a couple of days. I think someone was overrun with roos and decided to just dump them out here in the country. I heard that his brothers are with another neighbor. I think he is a EE but I am just guessing. He does look like my hatchery Ameraucana hens in color but his legs are yellow where theirs are grey or slate colored. Any suggestions?

My flock= 1 old red lady, 2015 spring pullets 2 GL Wyandotte, 1 SL Wyandotte, 1ea Blck, Rd, GLD sex link 1 Blue Andalusian, 2 EE 2015 fall baby's 3 Bielefelders, 2 Ayam Cemanis, 11 that are BCM with maybe two or three possible Black Isbar mixed in. Roo's 1 mixed who literally wandered into my yard. 1 Ayam Cemani  

1 Rodent killing machine cat.. 

Reply

My flock= 1 old red lady, 2015 spring pullets 2 GL Wyandotte, 1 SL Wyandotte, 1ea Blck, Rd, GLD sex link 1 Blue Andalusian, 2 EE 2015 fall baby's 3 Bielefelders, 2 Ayam Cemanis, 11 that are BCM with maybe two or three possible Black Isbar mixed in. Roo's 1 mixed who literally wandered into my yard. 1 Ayam Cemani  

1 Rodent killing machine cat.. 

Reply
post #2 of 9

I am not sure what he is but I don't think he is an Easter Egger. I had an Easter Egger rooster and his wattles were much smaller than your rooster's. Good luck!

Please check out my Etsy shop! https://www.etsy.com/shop/DreamofDaylilies?ref=hdr_shop_menu

 

I have two Black Labs, one cat, one Welsummer, one Buff Orpington, one Barnevelder, one Easter Egger, one Red Star, one Australorp, one Barred Rock, and one Speckled Sussex!

Reply

Please check out my Etsy shop! https://www.etsy.com/shop/DreamofDaylilies?ref=hdr_shop_menu

 

I have two Black Labs, one cat, one Welsummer, one Buff Orpington, one Barnevelder, one Easter Egger, one Red Star, one Australorp, one Barred Rock, and one Speckled Sussex!

Reply
post #3 of 9

He's a mixed breed, possibly with some Easter Egger (which is not exactly a 'pure' breed).

post #4 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by junebuggena View Post
 

He's a mixed breed, possibly with some Easter Egger (which is not exactly a 'pure' breed).

Thank you! I appreciate your input, I am aware that EE's are not pure bred but a mix. That is what I am sure  my hatchery lAmeraucana girls actually are. He is a pretty guy tho...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free as a Bird View Post
 

I am not sure what he is but I don't think he is an Easter Egger. I had an Easter Egger rooster and his wattles were much smaller than your rooster's. Good luck!

I am not sure but I think that EE's can have very different looks due to the fact that they are mixed. I could be wrong on that one tho. I am new to this chicken thing.

My flock= 1 old red lady, 2015 spring pullets 2 GL Wyandotte, 1 SL Wyandotte, 1ea Blck, Rd, GLD sex link 1 Blue Andalusian, 2 EE 2015 fall baby's 3 Bielefelders, 2 Ayam Cemanis, 11 that are BCM with maybe two or three possible Black Isbar mixed in. Roo's 1 mixed who literally wandered into my yard. 1 Ayam Cemani  

1 Rodent killing machine cat.. 

Reply

My flock= 1 old red lady, 2015 spring pullets 2 GL Wyandotte, 1 SL Wyandotte, 1ea Blck, Rd, GLD sex link 1 Blue Andalusian, 2 EE 2015 fall baby's 3 Bielefelders, 2 Ayam Cemanis, 11 that are BCM with maybe two or three possible Black Isbar mixed in. Roo's 1 mixed who literally wandered into my yard. 1 Ayam Cemani  

1 Rodent killing machine cat.. 

Reply
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by UGLYFOOT View Post
 

Thank you! I appreciate your input, I am aware that EE's are not pure bred but a mix. That is what I am sure  my hatchery lAmeraucana girls actually are. He is a pretty guy tho...

I am not sure but I think that EE's can have very different looks due to the fact that they are mixed. I could be wrong on that one tho. I am new to this chicken thing.


Your bird is definitely a mixed breed, but only an EE if he carries the blue egg gene. And you are right, since EEs are hybrids produced by crossing blue egg layers with brown egg layers, their appearance can vary quite a bit depending on which breeds are used in the cross and which genes are passed to the offspring.

post #6 of 9

agreed

                                         Please visit  "Current Movies - Thumbs UP or Thumbs DOWN"pop.gif

                                                           Movie  reviews    & comments -   welcome                                                 

Reply

                                         Please visit  "Current Movies - Thumbs UP or Thumbs DOWN"pop.gif

                                                           Movie  reviews    & comments -   welcome                                                 

Reply
post #7 of 9
Thread Starter 

Thank you all for the input. I am planing on letting him go live with my daughter when she takes her birds to her new place, I am adding to my flock with French Black Copper Marans, Blue Isbar, Bielefelders, Cream Legbars and Ayam Cemani. Then I am done till spring, when who knows what I will end up with? There are soooo many beautiful breeds out there. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael OShay View Post
 


Your bird is definitely a mixed breed, but only an EE if he carries the blue egg gene. And you are right, since EEs are hybrids produced by crossing blue egg layers with brown egg layers, their appearance can vary quite a bit depending on which breeds are used in the cross and which genes are passed to the offspring.

My flock= 1 old red lady, 2015 spring pullets 2 GL Wyandotte, 1 SL Wyandotte, 1ea Blck, Rd, GLD sex link 1 Blue Andalusian, 2 EE 2015 fall baby's 3 Bielefelders, 2 Ayam Cemanis, 11 that are BCM with maybe two or three possible Black Isbar mixed in. Roo's 1 mixed who literally wandered into my yard. 1 Ayam Cemani  

1 Rodent killing machine cat.. 

Reply

My flock= 1 old red lady, 2015 spring pullets 2 GL Wyandotte, 1 SL Wyandotte, 1ea Blck, Rd, GLD sex link 1 Blue Andalusian, 2 EE 2015 fall baby's 3 Bielefelders, 2 Ayam Cemanis, 11 that are BCM with maybe two or three possible Black Isbar mixed in. Roo's 1 mixed who literally wandered into my yard. 1 Ayam Cemani  

1 Rodent killing machine cat.. 

Reply
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by UGLYFOOT View Post
 

Thank you all for the input. I am planing on letting him go live with my daughter when she takes her birds to her new place, I am adding to my flock with French Black Copper Marans, Blue Isbar, Bielefelders, Cream Legbars and Ayam Cemani. Then I am done till spring, when who knows what I will end up with? There are soooo many beautiful breeds out there. 


You're welcome.

post #9 of 9

Mixed breed.

Breeder of Dutch bantams, Wyandotte bantams, and a few exhibition rabbits.

Feel free to ask me questions about chicken and rabbit care, breeds, and showing! I'm always happy to help!

 

"All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women merely players;
They have their exits and their entrances,
And one man in his time plays many parts."

--William Shakespeare

Reply

Breeder of Dutch bantams, Wyandotte bantams, and a few exhibition rabbits.

Feel free to ask me questions about chicken and rabbit care, breeds, and showing! I'm always happy to help!

 

"All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women merely players;
They have their exits and their entrances,
And one man in his time plays many parts."

--William Shakespeare

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: What Breed Or Gender is This?
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Chicken Breeds › What Breed Or Gender is This? › What breed is this rooster?