New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Lice

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 

About two months ago I tackled a lice problem. I mixed (in a wheelbarrow) DE, Sevin, and Poultry dust. I dusted each bird (30) under wings, vent, breast, back. I repeated once a week for a month for a total of 4 dustings and cleaned the coop after every time except the last. I was determined to get rid of them. It seemed to work. Until today I picked up one of my roos and noticed he had them crawling on his face. I looked on his neck and back and didn't see any anywhere else. Dusted him with Sevin real quick and isolated him. Also picked up a hen but didn't see any on her. What's the deal?! I know we have a lot of wild birds (ring neck dove, sparrows etc.) and there isn't anything I can do about it as my chickens free range. It's so frustrating! Any tips?

post #2 of 8
could you dust the bottom of your coop with DE? I Put a nice dusting of DE on my floor and then put couple of inches of straw over it. I replace the straw as needed but leave the DE for the year.
post #3 of 8

I personally found Permethrin very effective. They can be found in farmer's co-op or even Amazon, comes in liquid concentrate or you can buy in powder form. Treat both the coop and the chickens.

 

Check out this article for other helpful info.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/08/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification.html

post #4 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicFarmWife View Post

could you dust the bottom of your coop with DE? I Put a nice dusting of DE on my floor and then put couple of inches of straw over it. I replace the straw as needed but leave the DE for the year.

Yes, I forgot to mention I put DE and poultry dust in the coop. Maybe I need to put more! Also use nesting box herbs... Not sure that helps deter lice though.
post #5 of 8

DE never worked for me well...

When desperate, Seven always works but then I throw away the eggs.

 

I use combination of Garden & Poultry dust and liquid Permethrin.  I even had to use Permethrin inside our home because mites found their way in!  It was terrible but it never happened again.

post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattercorn11 View Post

Yes, I forgot to mention I put DE and poultry dust in the coop. Maybe I need to put more! Also use nesting box herbs... Not sure that helps deter lice though.
Huh, I don't know we use DE alot. But I do not know if it is effective for curing an infestation or if it is just a great preventative.
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicFarmWife View Post


Huh, I don't know we use DE alot. But I do not know if it is effective for curing an infestation or if it is just a great preventative.

yup, i think it deters at best. didn't do diddly on northern fowl mites infestation while I wanted to stay completely organic....

post #8 of 8
Thread Starter 
I need to check out the liquid permethrin!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home