BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Other BackYard Poultry › Ostriches, Emu, Rheas › Can You Figure It Out?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Can You Figure It Out?

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 

Examine the photo. I'll meet you underneath it.

 

 

 

It's Number One, the only one of my birds here at present. The parrots raid the early plum trees all day, and she stands quietly underneath, an hour at a time, and scoffs off the plums that the parrots drop. This happens every year. The birds mosey from tree to tree, following the parrots.

 

{Male with seven chicks cruised past the garden last week.}

 

Supreme Emu, Western Australia

post #2 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by briefvisit View Post
 

Examine the photo. I'll meet you underneath it.

 

 

 

It's Number One, the only one of my birds here at present. The parrots raid the early plum trees all day, and she stands quietly underneath, an hour at a time, and scoffs off the plums that the parrots drop. This happens every year. The birds mosey from tree to tree, following the parrots.

 

{Male with seven chicks cruised past the garden last week.}

 

Supreme Emu, Western Australia

I really scrutinized this photo even brought it out and looked at it in a photo editor.  I am not seeing any birds at all.  But from your description it sounds like your birds are smart following the parrots about.  Do they get drunk off the plums?

 

deb

Past poultry: Buff Brhama, EE, Barred rock, Wellsummer,

Bantam mixes, Araucana, Turkeys, & Guinea Fowl.

Future poultry:  Guinea Fowl, Sumatra, Wellsummer, Muscovy

"A dream without a plan is just a wish" Katherine Paterson

Regarding the horses in our lives

 

Reply

Past poultry: Buff Brhama, EE, Barred rock, Wellsummer,

Bantam mixes, Araucana, Turkeys, & Guinea Fowl.

Future poultry:  Guinea Fowl, Sumatra, Wellsummer, Muscovy

"A dream without a plan is just a wish" Katherine Paterson

Regarding the horses in our lives

 

Reply
post #3 of 8
That is awesome!! And very camouflaged! smile.png
Quote:
Originally Posted by perchie.girl View Post

I really scrutinized this photo even brought it out and looked at it in a photo editor.  I am not seeing any birds at all.  But from your description it sounds like your birds are smart following the parrots about.  Do they get drunk off the plums?

deb

Deb, if you look directly at the trunk of the tree (larger one on left) you can just see the breast of the emu to the right side and the tail dropping down to the left side... legs are almost exactly lined up with the trunk...

And beautiful photo too...
Frawg Muse
Reply
Frawg Muse
Reply
post #4 of 8
Thread Starter 

Here she is -- same spot, different day (of plum season):

 

post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by briefvisit View Post
 

Here she is -- same spot, different day (of plum season):

 

Shes pretty

 

deb

Past poultry: Buff Brhama, EE, Barred rock, Wellsummer,

Bantam mixes, Araucana, Turkeys, & Guinea Fowl.

Future poultry:  Guinea Fowl, Sumatra, Wellsummer, Muscovy

"A dream without a plan is just a wish" Katherine Paterson

Regarding the horses in our lives

 

Reply

Past poultry: Buff Brhama, EE, Barred rock, Wellsummer,

Bantam mixes, Araucana, Turkeys, & Guinea Fowl.

Future poultry:  Guinea Fowl, Sumatra, Wellsummer, Muscovy

"A dream without a plan is just a wish" Katherine Paterson

Regarding the horses in our lives

 

Reply
post #6 of 8
I am curious about your Emus. Do you raise them for meat, eggs, or pets? Or all of the above?
post #7 of 8
Thread Starter 

They're wild, Weehopper. I'm the only Australian here -- really, I've retired: my eyes are bad.

 

So, over eight years, I've tamed a number of dromaius novaehollandiae rothschildi that have come foraging in the house-clearing here. A number of members of 'Eric the Emu''s family are known. Number One is one of three chicks he bought here in 2009

post #8 of 8
Thanks for answering. That's really neat that you are able to tame them down a bit. Very interesting.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ostriches, Emu, Rheas
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Other BackYard Poultry › Ostriches, Emu, Rheas › Can You Figure It Out?