BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures › Severe Weight loss, Few Additional Symptoms
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Severe Weight loss, Few Additional Symptoms

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
My Red X is only 1100 grams, a third of what she should be... Pure skin and bones! Aside from a bit of weakness (she stopped roosting and moves more slowly), there are few other symptoms.

She's eating/drinking well, bright-eyed, curious, out scratching, poop normal, no sign of worms, feathers decent, no sign of mites (that I can tell), breathing normal. She's a bully so would have had access to food.

I had her in the house for a week, out of the cold. Wormed her with safe-guard and gave her water soluble vitamins, lots of food. She did have a bit of diarrhea once I started treating her. Still no expelled worms. Her weight has maybe increased 50grams.

She does smell quite bad/funny. I inspected her mouth for cankers and crop for impaction/infection. I think it's fine.

Any thoughts on possible diseases or treatment? I've been reading the forums and chicken health book... at a loss.

I did examine and weigh all my other birds and they all are underweight, down from last my last record (none nearly as skinny as my red x)... Which makes me think worms. still, no evidence in the droppings or abnormal droppings. The others appear healthy.
post #2 of 8

Is she laying?  How old is she?

post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChickenLady View Post

My Red X is only 1100 grams, a third of what she should be... Pure skin and bones! Aside from a bit of weakness (she stopped roosting and moves more slowly), there are few other symptoms.

She's eating/drinking well, bright-eyed, curious, out scratching, poop normal, no sign of worms, feathers decent, no sign of mites (that I can tell), breathing normal. She's a bully so would have had access to food.

I had her in the house for a week, out of the cold. Wormed her with safe-guard and gave her water soluble vitamins, lots of food. She did have a bit of diarrhea once I started treating her. Still no expelled worms. Her weight has maybe increased 50grams.

She does smell quite bad/funny. I inspected her mouth for cankers and crop for impaction/infection. I think it's fine.

Any thoughts on possible diseases or treatment? I've been reading the forums and chicken health book... at a loss.

I did examine and weigh all my other birds and they all are underweight, down from last my last record (none nearly as skinny as my red x)... Which makes me think worms. still, no evidence in the droppings or abnormal droppings. The others appear healthy.

Welcome to BYC! Can you post a picture of her poop? Do you want to learn how to tube feed?

-Kathy
post #4 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMV View Post

Is she laying?  How old is she?

She is about 2 years old. She hasn't laid for several months. Moulting in August/September and then with the cold no one has been laying (I don't supplement heat/light) but I was expecting the odd few eggs a week. My flock is old... 2-6 years old.
post #5 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by casportpony View Post

Welcome to BYC! Can you post a picture of her poop? Do you want to learn how to tube feed?

-Kathy

Thank you! I am out of town today but can post a pic today. I would be interested in learning tube feeding, although she had been eating quite well.
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChickenLady View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by casportpony View Post

Welcome to BYC! Can you post a picture of her poop? Do you want to learn how to tube feed?

-Kathy

Thank you! I am out of town today but can post a pic today. I would be interested in learning tube feeding, although she had been eating quite well.

Probably best to start tubing baby bird food and see if you can get her to start gaining more weight. You might also want to think about treating her for capillary worms, which means giving Safeguard @ 0.5ml orally for five days.

-Kathy
post #7 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by casportpony View Post

Probably best to start tubing baby bird food and see if you can get her to start gaining more weight. You might also want to think about treating her for capillary worms, which means giving Safeguard @ 0.5ml orally for five days.

-Kathy

Ok thank you. I just got home from being away a night. I gave her a big bowl of food and she ate it all - scrambled eggs, mashed feed.

She seems weaker but smells much better and her poop is less watery. I gave her safeguard twice, 7 days apart but not in a row.... So I dosed her today and will do so the next 5 days.

Attached are poop pics from the last 24 hours. I'm not seeing worms. There is a slight green tinge. I bathed her as she had a messy backside... I think from sitting in it. Her crop looks really big in the pic... She just ate. I'm fairly sure it's emptying ok.

I did find mouldy corn a couple weeks ago (leak in the bin) and tossed it but wondering about a fungal infection from eating that. Still... From what I've read the symptoms are more intense with a quicker onset.




post #8 of 8

Might be a good idea to clean off her back side. :D Green poop when they eating can mean bacterial infection.

 

-Kathy

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures › Severe Weight loss, Few Additional Symptoms