New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

buff coloring

post #1 of 6
Thread Starter 
I'm wondering how common the buff color is amongst breeds other than the Orpingtons? I LOVE the color but I don't think I want an Orpington in my flock. Which other breeds commonly have buff colored birds available?
post #2 of 6

There are a number of chicken breeds that come in buff other than just Orpingtons. Other breeds that come in buff off the top of my head are Plymouth Rocks, Cochins, Brahmas, Minorcas, Wyandottes, Silkies, Japanese Bantams, Chanteclers, and Polish (buff laced in this case).

post #3 of 6
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael OShay View Post

There are a number of chicken breeds that come in buff other than just Orpingtons. Other breeds that come in buff off the top of my head are Plymouth Rocks, Cochins, Brahmas, Minorcas, Wyandottes, Silkies, Japanese Bantams, Chanteclers, and Polish (buff laced in this case).

Thank you. I guess I'm wondering how common it is to find buff color. Or how easy it is to find or if you usually have to special order chicks or hunt them down from breeders.
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelune810 View Post


Thank you. I guess I'm wondering how common it is to find buff color. Or how easy it is to find or if you usually have to special order chicks or hunt them down from breeders.


Other than Orpingtons; Cochins, Brahmas, Polish, and Silkies are readily available at hatcheries in buff, and Plymouth Rocks, Japanese Bantmas, and Minorcas are fairly common in buff color. Buff Wyandottes and Chanteclers are considerably less available.

post #5 of 6
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael OShay View Post


Other than Orpingtons; Cochins, Brahmas, Polish, and Silkies are readily available at hatcheries in buff, and Plymouth Rocks, Japanese Bantmas, and Minorcas are fairly common in buff color. Buff Wyandottes and Chanteclers are considerably less available.
Thank you. I would love a buff plymouth rock in my future flock. 😊
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelune810 View Post

Thank you. I would love a buff plymouth rock in my future flock. 😊

You're welcome. I know from personal experience that Murray McMurray Hatchery and Ideal Poultry both breed Buff Rocks.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General breed discussions & FAQ