New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Breeding Thread

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 

Welcome to the breeding thread!:jumpy

Ask any questions about breeding please!

Also,

A good topic is rooster/hen ratio!

I'd like some BYC people to answer questions here.

My question:

I have a hen who is the roo's favourite. She was getting her feathers pulled and ripped when the rooster jumped her.

I put a hen jersey made out of fabric on her to prevent her back feather from getting torn. I take it off at night so she can fluff up her feathers to keep warm. Is this a good idea?

21 chickens. 3 horses. 2 dogs. 1 cat.

I love to jump horses and kick up dirt 'round the cans!

Please read about my chick Owlet in her blog!

I love caring for special needs chickens and am considering starting a Special Needs Chicken Rescue.

Reply

21 chickens. 3 horses. 2 dogs. 1 cat.

I love to jump horses and kick up dirt 'round the cans!

Please read about my chick Owlet in her blog!

I love caring for special needs chickens and am considering starting a Special Needs Chicken Rescue.

Reply
post #2 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken19 View Post
 

Welcome to the breeding thread!:jumpy

Ask any questions about breeding please!

Also,

A good topic is rooster/hen ratio!

I'd like some BYC people to answer questions here.

My question:

I have a hen who is the roo's favourite. She was getting her feathers pulled and ripped when the rooster jumped her.

I put a hen jersey made out of fabric on her to prevent her back feather from getting torn. I take it off at night so she can fluff up her feathers to keep warm. Is this a good idea?

The only possible problem is the weave.  Is the weave of the fabric tight enough so the rooster won't get his toes caught in it?  Other than that, if it works it's a good idea.  Something similar is done with the larger breeds of turkeys.

post #3 of 7

This question is for those with serama.  What's the best number of eggs to put under a serama broody?  My avatar hen just started to brood and has seven eggs (her own).  It seems a bit many because of her small size and the eggs not being much smaller than her bigger sisters.

Though, when I look, all the eggs seem to be covered, but with that long, curled feathering it's hard to be sure.

post #4 of 7
Thread Starter 

The weave is very tight!

Thank you so much nchls school!:yesss:

21 chickens. 3 horses. 2 dogs. 1 cat.

I love to jump horses and kick up dirt 'round the cans!

Please read about my chick Owlet in her blog!

I love caring for special needs chickens and am considering starting a Special Needs Chicken Rescue.

Reply

21 chickens. 3 horses. 2 dogs. 1 cat.

I love to jump horses and kick up dirt 'round the cans!

Please read about my chick Owlet in her blog!

I love caring for special needs chickens and am considering starting a Special Needs Chicken Rescue.

Reply
post #5 of 7
As many as she can cover would be my answer smile.png

If she's covering them, she's keeping them warm.
Nikki
*C'mon, get flappy!*
Reply
Nikki
*C'mon, get flappy!*
Reply
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by howfunkyisurchicken View Post

As many as she can cover would be my answer smile.png

If she's covering them, she's keeping them warm.

When I checked her tonight one egg was cool. I removed it and left her with six that were all nice and warm. Thank you for your response.
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken19 View Post

The weave is very tight!
Thank you so much nchls school!yesss.gif

You're welcome. Hope it works well.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying