New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hen with light pink comb help

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
Hi everyone. When I went outside to let my hens out today I noticed that the one who went through a big moult now has her feathers back but her comb is a very pale pink and so is her face. Drastically different than the others. One of my other hens had a bit of a moult and she is now on the pale side as well. Both of them are a lighter duller brown (feathers)after the moult. Is this normal? They get layer pellets in a big feeder and I give them scratch and the odd kitchen scraps. Are they sick? Do they need something in their diet?
post #2 of 9
They do get a light pink comb and face when they go out of lay, sometimes it can look like it is dusted in white as well, it's an indication that they are not fertile or producing eggs. It happens when they molt and it can happen when they are sick, so you should look to other signs if you are concerned about their health, if they are acting fine than I wouldn't worry, they will get redder and the tissue will enlarge as they approach laying again, it's a visual clue to those in the flock, especially a rooster, who won't usually mate a hen who's not laying.
Chickens, muscovy ducks, turkeys, donkeys , goats, dogs, fish, parakeets, a parrot, and a cat.

Chickens and dogs are healing to the soul.

I brake for squirrels.

Some of my birds.
http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/my-wisconsin-flock
Reply
Chickens, muscovy ducks, turkeys, donkeys , goats, dogs, fish, parakeets, a parrot, and a cat.

Chickens and dogs are healing to the soul.

I brake for squirrels.

Some of my birds.
http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/my-wisconsin-flock
Reply
post #3 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhenlikesdogs View Post

They do get a light pink comb and face when they go out of lay, sometimes it can look like it is dusted in white as well, it's an indication that they are not fertile or producing eggs. It happens when they molt and it can happen when they are sick, so you should look to other signs if you are concerned about their health, if they are acting fine than I wouldn't worry, they will get redder and the tissue will enlarge as they approach laying again, it's a visual clue to those in the flock, especially a rooster, who won't usually mate a hen who's not laying.
.

Thanks for the reply. The one who lost half her feathers at once seems to be smaller than the other girls now and seems to hang back where she didn't before. I will keep an eye on her, hopefully it's just that she has gone out of lay.
post #4 of 9
During a molt they can become meek and feel unwell, this time of year can be stressful as well with weather changes, and physically demanding with molting and needing to stay warm, hopefully your girl is just molting.
Chickens, muscovy ducks, turkeys, donkeys , goats, dogs, fish, parakeets, a parrot, and a cat.

Chickens and dogs are healing to the soul.

I brake for squirrels.

Some of my birds.
http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/my-wisconsin-flock
Reply
Chickens, muscovy ducks, turkeys, donkeys , goats, dogs, fish, parakeets, a parrot, and a cat.

Chickens and dogs are healing to the soul.

I brake for squirrels.

Some of my birds.
http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/my-wisconsin-flock
Reply
post #5 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhenlikesdogs View Post

During a molt they can become meek and feel unwell, this time of year can be stressful as well with weather changes, and physically demanding with molting and needing to stay warm, hopefully your girl is just molting.

the moulting has been hard on her, she looked like a plucked chicken for a bit, now she has feathers again thankfully.  She was bald all down her back and neck when we had freezing temps and storms.  is it normal for the new feathers to come in lighter than before?

post #6 of 9
Normally new feathers are usually darker and shiny, sometimes they will come in a different color on some breeds. It can take a bit on some hard molters to get to preening properly because it hurts and maybe that's why they seem lighter, she hasn't oiled them properly yet, I have a buff Orpington that looks like she was powdered. This has been a hard and strange year as far as molting and I can't recall such a year, it makes me wonder what's next.
Chickens, muscovy ducks, turkeys, donkeys , goats, dogs, fish, parakeets, a parrot, and a cat.

Chickens and dogs are healing to the soul.

I brake for squirrels.

Some of my birds.
http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/my-wisconsin-flock
Reply
Chickens, muscovy ducks, turkeys, donkeys , goats, dogs, fish, parakeets, a parrot, and a cat.

Chickens and dogs are healing to the soul.

I brake for squirrels.

Some of my birds.
http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/my-wisconsin-flock
Reply
post #7 of 9
Thread Starter 

this is my first year with chickens.  I have to chuckle..I thought I'd build a coop and get some hens ..how hard could it be?  This year has been a learning curve! but I am enjoying it and no regrets

post #8 of 9

I agree with oldhenlikesdogs. It is common for the face of a chicken to get pale during and even shortly after a molt. Are her eating and behavioral habits otherwise normal? Since a molt is a stressful time for a chicken, you may want to add some extra protein into her diet (moist cat food, scrambled eggs, etc.). 

Remember the past. Plan for the future. Live for the present.

 

Just love and accept people. :)

 

Love doesn't stop with death.

Reply

Remember the past. Plan for the future. Live for the present.

 

Just love and accept people. :)

 

Love doesn't stop with death.

Reply
post #9 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cluckcluckgirl View Post
 

I agree with oldhenlikesdogs. It is common for the face of a chicken to get pale during and even shortly after a molt. Are her eating and behavioral habits otherwise normal? Since a molt is a stressful time for a chicken, you may want to add some extra protein into her diet (moist cat food, scrambled eggs, etc.). 

she does seem hesitant and hangs back from the feeder and the treats.   I spread them around to give her a chance.  I think I will do as you suggest with the extra protein.  I will have to figure out a way to give her the goodies without the other girls stealing them

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home