BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Other BackYard Poultry › Ducks › Would ducks be ok to get?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Would ducks be ok to get?

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
I was wondering could I get some ducks with my chickens water is not an issue as we have a pond in which my chickens avoid it has a few fish but they'll be fine I am sure the only issue is the coop you see it is like half a metre of the ground and the chickens use a ramp to get in the best boxes are also a problem they are the size of a hen so should I get a coop just for my ducks
post #2 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transform987 View Post

I was wondering could I get some ducks with my chickens water is not an issue as we have a pond in which my chickens avoid it has a few fish but they'll be fine I am sure the only issue is the coop you see it is like half a metre of the ground and the chickens use a ramp to get in the best boxes are also a problem they are the size of a hen so should I get a coop just for my ducks

You can, but only if they are the same age, or the ducks will get picked on. The only thing that is horrible about keeping them together is that they get everything wet and muddy. You have to clean your coop very often, and the chicken waterer will be mud filled too. Nesting boxes are fine. It is really, really messy. You will have to change bedding in nesting boxes every day and night. I do not recommend it.
1 Buff Orpington Roo, 1 Rhode Island Red Roo, 3 Rhode Island Red Hens, 3 Red Sex Link Hens, 1 Welsummer Hen, 2 Unknown Crossbreed Chicks, 13 Incubating Eggs
7 Dogs, Lotsa Sheep, Bunch O Bunnies
My Secret-Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I Live On A Farm!
Reply
1 Buff Orpington Roo, 1 Rhode Island Red Roo, 3 Rhode Island Red Hens, 3 Red Sex Link Hens, 1 Welsummer Hen, 2 Unknown Crossbreed Chicks, 13 Incubating Eggs
7 Dogs, Lotsa Sheep, Bunch O Bunnies
My Secret-Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I Live On A Farm!
Reply
post #3 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxysAnimals View Post

You can, but only if they are the same age, or the ducks will get picked on. The only thing that is horrible about keeping them together is that they get everything wet and muddy. You have to clean your coop very often, and the chicken waterer will be mud filled too. Nesting boxes are fine. It is really, really messy. You will have to change bedding in nesting boxes every day and night. I do not recommend it.
what about if I gotte duck their own coop
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transform987 View Post

what about if I gotte duck their own coop

They might have to be penned off from the chickens, because they will go into the chickens coop anyway.
1 Buff Orpington Roo, 1 Rhode Island Red Roo, 3 Rhode Island Red Hens, 3 Red Sex Link Hens, 1 Welsummer Hen, 2 Unknown Crossbreed Chicks, 13 Incubating Eggs
7 Dogs, Lotsa Sheep, Bunch O Bunnies
My Secret-Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I Live On A Farm!
Reply
1 Buff Orpington Roo, 1 Rhode Island Red Roo, 3 Rhode Island Red Hens, 3 Red Sex Link Hens, 1 Welsummer Hen, 2 Unknown Crossbreed Chicks, 13 Incubating Eggs
7 Dogs, Lotsa Sheep, Bunch O Bunnies
My Secret-Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I Live On A Farm!
Reply
post #5 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxysAnimals View Post

They might have to be penned off from the chickens, because they will go into the chickens coop anyway.
Well the thing is that the ramp for the ducks slippery feet coulde be hard to get up so I think a different coop could be good
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transform987 View Post

Well the thing is that the ramp for the ducks slippery feet coulde be hard to get up so I think a different coop could be good
No, the ducks are capable of easily getting up. They can also use their wings and pull themselves while flapping their wings. They can easily do it. I'm concerned about it because I have done it, and it is a lot of responsibility. You have to clean the coop in the morning and at night. It's hard work, and really dirty.
1 Buff Orpington Roo, 1 Rhode Island Red Roo, 3 Rhode Island Red Hens, 3 Red Sex Link Hens, 1 Welsummer Hen, 2 Unknown Crossbreed Chicks, 13 Incubating Eggs
7 Dogs, Lotsa Sheep, Bunch O Bunnies
My Secret-Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I Live On A Farm!
Reply
1 Buff Orpington Roo, 1 Rhode Island Red Roo, 3 Rhode Island Red Hens, 3 Red Sex Link Hens, 1 Welsummer Hen, 2 Unknown Crossbreed Chicks, 13 Incubating Eggs
7 Dogs, Lotsa Sheep, Bunch O Bunnies
My Secret-Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I Live On A Farm!
Reply
post #7 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxysAnimals View Post

No, the ducks are capable of easily getting up. They can also use their wings and pull themselves while flapping their wings. They can easily do it. I'm concerned about it because I have done it, and it is a lot of responsibility. You have to clean the coop in the morning and at night. It's hard work, and really dirty.
Is cleaning it well that's not too bad
post #8 of 9

I have had both mallard type ducks (pekins and cayugas) and muscovy ducks, and I still have chickens. I can say, hands down, my muscovy ducks are by far my favorite poultry because all of the issues with the mallard type ducks are virtually non-existent with muscovies. and they smell better than chickens, I even keep their water bucket in their coop at night because they never splash it. They'll dunk their heads once in a while to wash out their nostrils, but they never splash it and bring the water out the way my pekins and cayugas did. Their water also doesn't get very dirty because they don't dig around in the mud and then wash their faces in it. When I had mallards, I had to change their water two, three times a day. Now, once a day is enough because it remains clean.

 

They share their coop and run with three chickens, and they all huddle up at night together in one giant fluffy mass, and they get along very well with them (they're bantams though), although the ducks are definitely more dominant. After getting muscovies, I'm never getting mallard types again, especially the noise reduction was heaven as well. Muscovies are more or less silent, verses my mallards who never seemed to shut up and could call us from an acre back, where their coop was, and still pierce into the master bedroom.

 

I would definitely go with muscovies if you're thinking of ducks and are used to chickens.

 

(They also seem to eat much less feed and are happy with foraging for most of their food, wheras my mallards would eat nonstop if I let them.)

post #9 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxysAnimals View Post

No, the ducks are capable of easily getting up. They can also use their wings and pull themselves while flapping their wings. They can easily do it. I'm concerned about it because I have done it, and it is a lot of responsibility. You have to clean the coop in the morning and at night. It's hard work, and really dirty.
So if I gave them a co-op each would it be fine
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ducks
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Other BackYard Poultry › Ducks › Would ducks be ok to get?