Hello...and thank you for letting me join this wonderful group. When I was young; my family had chickens and geese...and I loved being around them and caring for them. I recently moved in with my "swain" and he got me a hatching coop and built a small pen to hatch eggs and raise "peeps!!!!" I am just thrilled!
Carl wants to start with about 30 chickens...he was born and raised in a farming family...and I can't wait to experience the wonder! We are looking for docile, calm chickens and roosters... cochin, (because they are broody), barred rock, dominique,ORPINGTON
We have a large garden...and I am excited to see if I can get the chickens to forage in parts of the garden. In reading many sites, including Reddit, I came across this site.
I am a special education teacher in an inner-city school district...my swain is the director of an aerospace manufacturing plant...we have 5 sons all together, with 3 grandchildren...the boys all hunt, so we have 3 labs, and a very spoiled kitten.
Thank you again for allowing us to join!
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
(3) What breeds do you have?
(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.