BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Other BackYard Poultry › Ducks › What's wrong with my duck?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What's wrong with my duck?

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
I live in Mexico and my mom got me a pekin duck a month ago, she's currently getting her house built but for the meantime she's sleeping in a big box with water and food. I clean it out every day and throughout the day she follows me around. It's starting to get really cold here but when I leave her in her box I noticed she gets really hot!(her box has holes) but she started wheezing for a bit, it went away but she's coughing and sneezing. Why would this happen? She also has like some bumps inside her nose and sometimes liquid comes out of her nose.
post #2 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by smileylife View Post

I live in Mexico and my mom got me a pekin duck a month ago, she's currently getting her house built but for the meantime she's sleeping in a big box with water and food. I clean it out every day and throughout the day she follows me around. It's starting to get really cold here but when I leave her in her box I noticed she gets really hot!(her box has holes) but she started wheezing for a bit, it went away but she's coughing and sneezing. Why would this happen? She also has like some bumps inside her nose and sometimes liquid comes out of her nose.

@smileylife   Welcome to BYC

 

What are you using for bedding and does she still use a heat lamp? and are you completely covering the top of her box? sometimes ammonia can build up inside their sleeping quarters and can cause respiratory trouble. I'd keep the top open for fresh air and then if you haven't already you need to  check her temp inside the box. Also add some ACV Apple Cider Vinegar to her drinking water so she can wash out her nostrils. Another question does she have a bowl deep enough to wash out her nostrils that is very important . Mix 1-2 Tablespoons of ACV to 1 gal of water and let her clean her self up and her nostrils out. ACV can kill certain bacteria. As for water coming out that can be normal when they drink some water can stay behind and drain out. If you can get some good pics maybe we can help with the bumps too. She may need some antibiotics but first lets try the ACV and if she is 1 month old still too young to be outside with out heat. at 1 month she needs temps at a steady 70*

 Western N.C ~ 17 chickens= EE's, Game, variety of bantams,1Light Brahma, 2 Black Australorps . 5 Muscovy ducks, 8 Indian Runners and 2 Buff Orpington Ducks, 1 Embden gander,1 Toulouse goose , 3 mini Dachshunds, 2 mixed breed, pond goldfish,  and a wonderful Husband who makes it all possible..

 

The Son of God became a man to enable men to become sons of God ~C.S.Lewis~

Reply

 Western N.C ~ 17 chickens= EE's, Game, variety of bantams,1Light Brahma, 2 Black Australorps . 5 Muscovy ducks, 8 Indian Runners and 2 Buff Orpington Ducks, 1 Embden gander,1 Toulouse goose , 3 mini Dachshunds, 2 mixed breed, pond goldfish,  and a wonderful Husband who makes it all possible..

 

The Son of God became a man to enable men to become sons of God ~C.S.Lewis~

Reply
post #3 of 7
Thread Starter 
Thanks so much! It's my first time caring for a duck, I'm not sure what the bedding is ill ask next time I go to the vet. The top of the box is opened, and in her box she doesn't have a bowl of water only a small one and food but during the day she has a bigger bowl. I do a lot of chores so I let her follow me around but I have a smaller box she goes inside while I'm cleaning, it's a shoe box so the top is off and when she's thirsty or hungry she gets out and eats. I also let her cuddle with me because she hates being alone.
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by smileylife View Post

Thanks so much! It's my first time caring for a duck, I'm not sure what the bedding is ill ask next time I go to the vet. The top of the box is opened, and in her box she doesn't have a bowl of water only a small one and food but during the day she has a bigger bowl. I do a lot of chores so I let her follow me around but I have a smaller box she goes inside while I'm cleaning, it's a shoe box so the top is off and when she's thirsty or hungry she gets out and eats. I also let her cuddle with me because she hates being alone.

Sounds like you 2 are best friends which is good because ducklings really need a buddy, as you have found out they don't like to be alone. They are called flock animals for a reason. :)

So it's 4 days since you posted about her wheezing and coughing how is she doing today? Do you have a heat lamp over her? do you know the temp in her box? ducklings can get over heated so it is always a good idea to know what the temp is in her box.

 

Did you try some Apple Cider Vinegar in her drinking water? she needs to be able to dunk her head in it to clean her nostrils out that is very important. 

 Western N.C ~ 17 chickens= EE's, Game, variety of bantams,1Light Brahma, 2 Black Australorps . 5 Muscovy ducks, 8 Indian Runners and 2 Buff Orpington Ducks, 1 Embden gander,1 Toulouse goose , 3 mini Dachshunds, 2 mixed breed, pond goldfish,  and a wonderful Husband who makes it all possible..

 

The Son of God became a man to enable men to become sons of God ~C.S.Lewis~

Reply

 Western N.C ~ 17 chickens= EE's, Game, variety of bantams,1Light Brahma, 2 Black Australorps . 5 Muscovy ducks, 8 Indian Runners and 2 Buff Orpington Ducks, 1 Embden gander,1 Toulouse goose , 3 mini Dachshunds, 2 mixed breed, pond goldfish,  and a wonderful Husband who makes it all possible..

 

The Son of God became a man to enable men to become sons of God ~C.S.Lewis~

Reply
post #5 of 7
Thread Starter 
She's fine now!!!!! I have a big tub and decided to let her swim in it since the weather was pretty nice, after that I started leaving out bigger bowls and she doesn't wheeze anymore! I think it's because she was starting to quack!!! I'm so happy big_smile.png she's gotten pretty big now too. I do have another question, so I have 4 dogs and one cat (they all get along great with my duck) and my duck always seems to find a way to eat their food!! Is that safe?? I got her some duck feed I'm not sure what kind (I got it at the vet and they're like small pallets that are brownish yellowish) she does eat that but she always goes for the dog food!
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by smileylife View Post

She's fine now!!!!! I have a big tub and decided to let her swim in it since the weather was pretty nice, after that I started leaving out bigger bowls and she doesn't wheeze anymore! I think it's because she was starting to quack!!! I'm so happy big_smile.png she's gotten pretty big now too. I do have another question, so I have 4 dogs and one cat (they all get along great with my duck) and my duck always seems to find a way to eat their food!! Is that safe?? I got her some duck feed I'm not sure what kind (I got it at the vet and they're like small pallets that are brownish yellowish) she does eat that but she always goes for the dog food!

Watch out that the duck does not eat large chunks of dry food like dog kibble.  I know of a duck that suffocated after a chunk of dry dog kibble got stuck in his throat.  And just to be on the safe side, be prepared with some half inch rubber tubing and read up on what to do if a duck is choking.

 

and remember to be watchful - some dogs are okay with smaller animals until the little one does something to trigger a predator-prey situation.


Edited by Amiga - 1/15/16 at 9:14am

Please PM me, or use @Amiga in the message if you would like to hear from me soon.  

Reply

Please PM me, or use @Amiga in the message if you would like to hear from me soon.  

Reply
post #7 of 7
Thread Starter 
Okay, thank you so much!! They're pretty small bits. I never leave my duck alone with my other pets, I always try to keep a close eye on them
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ducks
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Other BackYard Poultry › Ducks › What's wrong with my duck?