Originally Posted by 21hens-incharge
What do you plan on growing? Are you as snow buried as I am? I still have a foot of snow covering the entire yard.
Deer proofing..... I bet that means you live in a pretty area.
I am planning on growing a lot of things I have never tried to grow before and things I failed miserably at growing.
Here are a couple things I have never tried to grow before....
Okra, winter squash, watermelon, and pickling cucumbers.
Things I have tried and failed at but want to try again.....
Potatoes, onion from seed, and musk melon..
There are of course things that do well for me like tomatoes, radish, spinach, lettuce, strawberries, and of course summer squash.
If you have any tips on growing some of the items I listed PLEASE share them. I need all the help I can get.
Winter squash, watermelon, and pickling cucumbers, muskmelon. (Don't know about okra sorry!)
1. Don't start them too early or late. Start them four weeks before your last frost date
2.. Warm up the soil they're to be planted in with black plastic. Garbage bags will work.
They like the soil at about 70 degrees F.
Remember they are all warm weather lovers. Frost is a killer to them, and chilly weather makes them pout.
3.Pre Germinate them in a damp paper towel stuck in a plastic bag.
4. One thing I do is plant my plants all over. It seems to confuse the bad bugs, like the cucumber beetle
5. If you smoke, wash your hands well, before handling plants too. .
6.Give them plenty of room, and fill the hole with well rotted manure, compost, etc.
7. Harden them off before transplanting, and be very careful to not disturb the roots when planting.
8. Use water filled bottle to keep them warm, if the temp drops.
They are tropical plants, and like it warm and toasty.
9. Water them well, and mulch like crazy!
ETA: A nice video on starting seeds. The only thing I'd do different is pre germinate the seeds. It makes a difference
another video on making paper pots
Edited by Miss Biddy - 2/8/16 at 2:50am
I use tape to hold the side https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8qPAV-LDnM