I am just getting ready to set another 96 tomorrow. I am inbreeding in an attempt to get darker eggs. These eggs are all from my generation 1 layers.
You can see the difference in egg shell colors I'm getting. In this clutch of 122 eggs, only 18% were the darker brown, and that brown isn't even on the BCM chart. The lighter brown is the color all the eggs were from my Gen 0 layers.
I think I am going to start keeping eggs 14 days and fresher for the next hatch, in an attempt to get a higher ratio of darker eggs in the bator.
Started with 122 eggs, needing 96:
- Went through all and removed every ground egg (a ground egg is one not laid on bedding, and as such, its laid in my deep litter...a lot of pooh and wood chips...so is usually covered with "dirt")...don't know why I have been putting them aside for hatching anyway
- Went through all and set aside for hatching every dark egg
- Went through the rest and pulled all small and very light brown eggs (I don't keep Jumbos for hatching anymore)
- Filled up the 96 with the freshest eggs
- Decided that I will not include eggs laid on Day 0 in my hatches...no time for them to warm up before putting them in the bator, I'm guessing the shock is not good for them
Edited by NTBugtraq - 1/29/16 at 3:41pm