New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Worming question - Page 2

post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old 76 Farm View Post

Thank you for your reply. I ended up closing the coop at 5pm last night & waited till 9am to open it & give them the wormer. So they went 16 hrs without food & I'm waiting 3 hrs to feed them just in case. I've never done this before and oh my goodness it was crazy!

I put the wormer inside small pieces of bread. 4 of the 20 would not eat it... two of them roosters, so I ended up putting a glob inside their beaks. Needless to say, I had this stuff all over me. If it obsorbs through skin I will consider myself wormed big_smile.png

I haven't seen any worms. I was told to worm them every 6 months for their health.

Am I supposed to do this again in 10 days even if I haven't seen any worms?

I just di the same thing with my chickens.. First time ever having to deal with tapeworms and got this stuff all over me. I only was able to get one chicken.. Now I have to try again tomorrow morning. Nobody warmed me about this part of raising chickens­čśä Ugh.
post #12 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by backyardahens View Post


I just di the same thing with my chickens.. First time ever having to deal with tapeworms and got this stuff all over me. I only was able to get one chicken.. Now I have to try again tomorrow morning. Nobody warmed me about this part of raising chickens­čśä Ugh.


It's a learning experience for me too! I wormed them again in 10 days (that's what I was told to do) and I had one heck of a time. The chickens had smartened up on me & would not eat the bread... so since I couldn't get the medicine back out of the bread, I had to buy a new tube. I found that instead of chasing & catching them it worked better to lock them in the coop at night and take each one out, put the meds in her beak & put her in the run... or to just go down before sunrise & just take each one off the roost.

 

Good luck with the warming! This stuff is supposed to work great for tapeworms.

post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old 76 Farm View Post


It's a learning experience for me too! I wormed them again in 10 days (that's what I was told to do) and I had one heck of a time. The chickens had smartened up on me & would not eat the bread... so since I couldn't get the medicine back out of the bread, I had to buy a new tube. I found that instead of chasing & catching them it worked better to lock them in the coop at night and take each one out, put the meds in her beak & put her in the run... or to just go down before sunrise & just take each one off the roost.

Good luck with the warming! This stuff is supposed to work great for tapeworms.



How long before you can eat the eggs with this type of medication, it seems pretty toxic? It's such a bummer to throw out all those eggs. I have read some awful stuff about this medication but I was at a loss as to what to do. All my chickens had tapeworm and I wormed with Wazine the first time not knowing what komd of worm and it did nothing. So over a month without eggs and then when I realized they had tapeworms.. I couldn't find anything but this product.It will be another month without eggs but now I'm worried about how harmful the product is and human consumption even after the month of tossing them out. I can't find any other info on it besides this post!
post #14 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by backyardahens View Post


How long before you can eat the eggs with this type of medication, it seems pretty toxic? It's such a bummer to throw out all those eggs. I have read some awful stuff about this medication but I was at a loss as to what to do. All my chickens had tapeworm and I wormed with Wazine the first time not knowing what komd of worm and it did nothing. So over a month without eggs and then when I realized they had tapeworms.. I couldn't find anything but this product.It will be another month without eggs but now I'm worried about how harmful the product is and human consumption even after the month of tossing them out. I can't find any other info on it besides this post!


After the second worming you only have to wait 2 weeks to eat eggs. So it's really 24 days total from start to finish that you throw out the eggs. I was nervous too about using the medicine, but had no problems at all! I noticed no difference in behavior, no difference in eating or drinking... they were just fine acting as usual. With the weeks after though, I noticed they were fluffier looking & more shiny. Some of my smaller hens felt less thin & combs looked redder and healthier. I was very pleased with this wormer.

 

With this and other wormers the reason to throw out eggs is that there is a small possibility that small traces of the meds could get into the eggs. It's totally not a huge risk in my opinion. I waited the 2 weeks and cringed at throwing out all those precious eggs too. But at the end of the two weeks the eggs were just beautiful!! Larger, cleaner, more abundant, and yokes are bright orange. I never saw any worms before I wormed the chickens, but was just following the rule to worm them every 6 months... so I really think it's important to do so. They must have had some kind of worm overload or I wouldn't have seen such improvement in health & eggs.

 

Try not to worry, they should do fine & eggs will be fine too. I did read that with tapeworms sometimes a third worming is needed (at another 10 day period) in some cases, so you may want to consider that also. I think if it was me, I would do the third worming just because you don't want to go through the whole thing again.


Edited by Old 76 Farm - 3/9/16 at 6:20am
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old 76 Farm View Post


After the second worming you only have to wait 2 weeks to eat eggs. So it's really 24 days total from start to finish that you throw out the eggs. I was nervous too about using the medicine, but had no problems at all! I noticed no difference in behavior, no difference in eating or drinking... they were just fine acting as usual. With the weeks after though, I noticed they were fluffier looking & more shiny. Some of my smaller hens felt less thin & combs looked redder and healthier. I was very pleased with this wormer.

With this and other wormers the reason to throw out eggs is that there is a small possibility that small traces of the meds could get into the eggs. It's totally not a huge risk in my opinion. I waited the 2 weeks and cringed at throwing out all those precious eggs too. But at the end of the two weeks the eggs were just beautiful!! Larger, cleaner, more abundant, and yokes are bright orange. I never saw any worms before I wormed the chickens, but was just following the rule to worm them every 6 months... so I really think it's important to do so. They must have had some kind of worm overload or I wouldn't have seen such improvement in health & eggs.

Try not to worry, they should do fine & eggs will be fine too. I did read that with tapeworms sometimes a third worming is needed (at another 10 day period) in some cases, so you may want to consider that also. I think if it was me, I would do the third worming just because you don't want to go through the whole thing again.


Thank you for all the info! It's been very helpful. I think I will do a third worming just incase. I'd hate to do all this and then have then return shortly after. Especially since I have evidence in their poop. Thanks again!
post #16 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by backyardahens View Post


Thank you for all the info! It's been very helpful. I think I will do a third worming just incase. I'd hate to do all this and then have then return shortly after. Especially since I have evidence in their poop. Thanks again!

You're very welcome.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home