New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

EE hen or roo??

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
6 week old EE. I see saddle feathers and the comb is starting to grow. What do yall think?? Thanks



Austin
Reply
Austin
Reply
post #2 of 16

It's a cockerel.

post #3 of 16

cockerel

                                         Please visit  "Current Movies - Thumbs UP or Thumbs DOWN"pop.gif

                                                           Movie  reviews    & comments -   welcome                                                 

Reply

                                         Please visit  "Current Movies - Thumbs UP or Thumbs DOWN"pop.gif

                                                           Movie  reviews    & comments -   welcome                                                 

Reply
post #4 of 16

It's a cockerel, but he's still a bit too young for male saddle feathers. Those don't start to develop until about 10 weeks old.

post #5 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by junebuggena View Post

It's a cockerel, but he's still a bit too young for male saddle feathers. Those don't start to develop until about 10 weeks old.

What do you see that tells you cockerel then? I'm just wondering....trying to learn
Austin
Reply
Austin
Reply
post #6 of 16

I'm going to go against the flow and say pullet. A good comb shot would help determine, but I'm not seeing anything screaming cockerel at this point. 

 

Agree it's too young for saddle feathers. At this age it's about comb, coloring, stance. 

Rachel BB

Stem cell transplant from unrelated donor in Feb 2015. Thank you to all my friends here on BYC for all your support during my treatment and ongoing recovery!

Reply

Rachel BB

Stem cell transplant from unrelated donor in Feb 2015. Thank you to all my friends here on BYC for all your support during my treatment and ongoing recovery!

Reply
post #7 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by donrae View Post

I'm going to go against the flow and say pullet. A good comb shot would help determine, but I'm not seeing anything screaming cockerel at this point. 

Agree it's too young for saddle feathers. At this age it's about comb, coloring, stance. 

I gotcha. I approve of your opinion lol
Austin
Reply
Austin
Reply
post #8 of 16
Thread Starter 

Bump.... anyone else want to confirm if it's definitely a cockerel?? Thanks

Austin
Reply
Austin
Reply
post #9 of 16

I have zero experience in the art of sexing a bird, but I do like to tie flies for fishing, and I can tell that through this hobby I have learned a bit about hackle feathers. Hens tend to have rounded hackles, and Roosters seem to have long skinny pointy ones. Those look kind of pointy. For that reason and maybe a bit of a raised tail I say Cockerel.  

post #10 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanterJeff View Post
 

I have zero experience in the art of sexing a bird, but I do like to tie flies for fishing, and I can tell that through this hobby I have learned a bit about hackle feathers. Hens tend to have rounded hackles, and Roosters seem to have long skinny pointy ones. Those look kind of pointy. For that reason and maybe a bit of a raised tail I say Cockerel.  

 

Good info.... Thanks

Austin
Reply
Austin
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: What Breed Or Gender is This?