Originally Posted by cree57i
Originally Posted by Wickedchicken6
It IS what they say I believe...to let the 'bator run for a day or so to make sure one has even temps. I start mine about an hour or so before I put eggs in mine...but mine heats up super quick and holds nice.
I brought the eggs home that I bought...it was a 4+ hour drive. But I mine rested 12 days before I got mine in....(not by choice) I do see veins a good majority of the purchased ones. I "had" planned to get them in by 7 days.
Unfortunately I'm one who doesn't get it... I never did get to watch the new ones...
for the best for your chickie!!
I agree completely, it is best to have the incubator up and running and know it will hold temp and humidity. My incubators have been running since mid-October pretty much non-stop. Since my Brinsea was not the temperature it was reading digitally, for the NYD hatch along, I have been diligent about using the spot check and calibrating each hatch.
That is just how I have had some success with shipped eggs. In the beginning, I was hatching 1 out of 12. Either the eggs are making the trip better or I am getting a better system.
Well I'm glad you found a way that works for you! I'm still new to it all, so I definitely don't mind the different advice I've been hearing. The 38 eggs I incubated were two different batches. For the first 20 (my first ever incubating eggs!) I didn't have an automatic turner, only had one backup thermometer, no backup hygrometer, and was trying to use a small LED flashlight to candle them and it just wasn't working out. Only 2 of those 20 hatched, and I blame it on a combination of temp/humidity not being just right, power going out for a day, and me not turning them as diligently as I should have. Only 7 other of the eggs even developed at all, and died at various stages of growth. So I have no one to blame but myself.
Since I didn't do so hot with the first batch, I bought 18 more eggs off of the same individual. Only this time, I had an automatic turner, two backup thermometers, a backup hygrometer (calibrated with the salt test, which I also learned about) and a totally handy little flashlight gadget made just for candling eggs. 7 of those 18 eggs hatched, though I believe 4 were infertile, 3 had a blood ring shortly after being shipped, and the other 4 were again lost to various stages of development. It was neat actually being able to watch the second batch of eggs develop because I really couldn't with the lousy flashlight I had for the first batch.
So now I'm hoping with all the new tools, new knowledge, and a new set of eggs from a different seller, maybe I'll have even better luck! In all honesty, I definitely don't need two dozen EEs, so I won't be too heartbroken if I can't hatch them all. But I've set a new personal goal of at least a 50% hatch rate for these little ones. What can I say, I'm trying my best to learn!
Edited by RattleCan - 2/26/16 at 10:21am