I'm super late to the party with this but here is the incubator I'm now using when it was parts.
It's the largest clear sterilite container the store carried. (It was also on a GREAT sale!)
It has a flat bottom and flat side for ease of cleaning. Ease of cleaning and capacity is what I was going for with this incubator.
This is what I ended up with. This pic was taken part way through the HAL. I don't have one of the light sockets mounted. I put a towel under the container since it's on the cold metal of the dryer. The white behind is a small length of paper towel I taped to the side and back. I originally was planning on covering it with a towel...but so far I've found it has ben keeping steady temps despite being right under a window and beside a drafty door...lol. The far back corner where the fan is shows cooler temps...so I will have to rectify that. Otherwise it's been performing better than I expected.
This is the incubator tonight. I'm experimenting with humidity above the chicks in this one.
I still have two eggs from the end of February developing and eggs from early March.
But my best advice is don't build an incubator when you're tired. I did and a made a HUGE oops. I had an extra wafer thermostat that I was going to use. When drilling out the holes through the side of the container I didn't get the hole for the adjustment screw quite right. I thought I could just touch it up with the drill with the thermostat mounted behind! No, No, NO! Don't do it, I don't know WHAT I WAS THINKING!! I caught the edge of the flange that the screw fits into. Being a soft metal the rest of the raised flange flaked off and I was left with no way to keep the adjustment screw steady or tight to adjust it.
I tried hot gluing it (ok, don't laugh.....too hard.) I tried using a nut on the inside of the thermostat body, which would have worked if it wasn't in the way to make adjustments. My hubby drilled a thin piece of metal to mount on the inside of the thermostat. But we hadn't used a tap and die set, so it was going to strip off the threads on the adjustment screw.
So I used two nuts as a spacer and fit them between the container's side and the body of the thermostat. I mounted the body of the thermostat onto the container with long bolts that gently squeeze the nuts and keep them in place. The two nuts provide a precise adjustment. .
Hopefully this may help someone else out.