Valentines Day Hatch-A-Long 2016 - Page 4
Featured Stories on BackYard Chickens
OK, so I got an answer from the genetics thread and this is what they said:
No sex linked chicks
offspring- barred, crested, dark brown leghorns (gold duckwing)
the male will provide the barring gene to all the offspring therefore all are barred
cream ( from legbar) and lavender (isabella) are recessive genes so they wil not be expressed in the offspring
the offspring should be dark brown and not light brown if the isabelle is brown at the E locus
crest is incompletly dominant so the size of the crest may be smaller in the offspring (assuming the legbar is purebred for crest)
So boo no sex links, but barred brown should still make for some very pretty chickens!
Just did my day 7 candling, 13/16 look good and I could see nice veins, although a bit harder to see on the blue & green eggs. I marked and left the 3 clears in and will check them again on day 10 before pulling them.
So, I started last year with a couple of purebred BCM roosters, and "special dual purpose" pullets (which I had raised from day olds). The pullets resembled Red Sexlinks...but their genealogy is known only to the hatchery (I assume). They produced the following;
One of my roosters, he lost most of his comb last year due to frostbite...a lesson in itself.
My pullets now (e.g. generation 0 of my project cross) As you can see, you get quite a color explosion when you cross with an unknown.
Below is the result from my first setting, now up to 4 day olds, outside in my unheated greenhouse in freezing weather, happy as, well, chicks...
They pop out from under the brooder plates and run around, eat, drink, and just have fun. Some mornings their mostly under the left one, then the right one, but never all under just one. There's 45 in all in there now, all doing great.
I started my 2nd hatch of this year yesterday, so mine will be hatching shortly after your target date.
I managed to squeeze 50 eggs into each tray this time, achieving the Brinsea Ova Easy 100 suggested limit. These eggs will be generation 1.
And here it is all set up and running.
My expected hatch date is 2/20. I'm running at 99.6F, and 50% RH.
Thanks, my first hatch had only a 68.75% fertility rate, probably due to freezing temperatures (both frozen eggs, and frozen rooster...), and I lost 15 to incubation deaths (resulting in a 77.27% hatch rate). Here's hoping for better fertility, and fewer deaths. To that end I'm trying to keep O2 low in the bator for the first 10 days (by closing the vent as much as it can be) in the hopes of making stronger chicks. No idea if it will work, but it's supposed to.
I'm also not altering the RH% this time. Last time I started at 35% and found Day 1 weight loss was way more than ideal, so I bumped it up, and every day I made an adjustment. It meant I ended up meandering around with the RH%, which I don't think helped things.
GL with your setting, and everyone else's.