BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Incubating & Hatching Eggs › My baby is not moving anymore!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My baby is not moving anymore!!!

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 

I am on day 28 in the incubating process and my baby, which was moving alot yesterday, is no longer moving. Has he/she died? How long should I wait? Oh, the egg is a Pekin Duck egg. Thanks

post #2 of 7

Leave it alone. Sit on your hands. If it died, there isn't anything you can do about it. If it hatches, good for you.

NPIP 43-813

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.

Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”                  Mark Twain

Reply

NPIP 43-813

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.

Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”                  Mark Twain

Reply
post #3 of 7
Well, I'm on the other side of the fence on this. I've assisted several hatches. They grew to be great birds. And yes, lost some too.

Are you sure you're on day 28, not 27? We're your stats good during incubation? Baby could be resting before hatch... When was the last time you candled? What did you see?
post #4 of 7
Has it pipped? Was it just the egg shaking or could you see it moving its bill? If you can see membrane, what does the membrane look like, white and dried out?

It’s hard to know when or even if you should help. If you are too early you can kill it by helping. It needs to do certain things before it has a good chance to live outside the shell like dry up blood vessels, absorb the yolk and blood in those external blood vessels, and learn to breathe air instead living in a liquid environment. Some chicks or ducklings start some of his before even internal pip, some do a lot between internal pip and external pip, some wait until after external pip to do a lot of this. There is no set schedule.

I don’t have any great advice as to when to help. It’s more of a feeling after watching many hatches. I have helped some chicks and a turkey that lived and did fine but the majority of the ones I help are dead within a few days. There is often a reason they don’t hatch, they are just not going to make it anyway.

 I grow a little impatient when people seem to think that they are unique in the world. Of course they are. Just like everyone else.

 

"If you make every game a life-and-death proposition, you're going to have problems. For one thing, you'll be dead a lot." — former North Carolina coach Dean Smith

 

http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-much-room-do-chickens-need

Reply

 I grow a little impatient when people seem to think that they are unique in the world. Of course they are. Just like everyone else.

 

"If you make every game a life-and-death proposition, you're going to have problems. For one thing, you'll be dead a lot." — former North Carolina coach Dean Smith

 

http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-much-room-do-chickens-need

Reply
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by caesargirl View Post

Well, I'm on the other side of the fence on this. I've assisted several hatches. They grew to be great birds. And yes, lost some too.

Are you sure you're on day 28, not 27? We're your stats good during incubation? Baby could be resting before hatch... When was the last time you candled? What did you see?

Those are very good points.

I once did an eggtopsy on a chicken egg I was sure was on day 25 only to find a live embryo about to hatch. I was sad about that.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post

Has it pipped? Was it just the egg shaking or could you see it moving its bill? If you can see membrane, what does the membrane look like, white and dried out?

It’s hard to know when or even if you should help. If you are too early you can kill it by helping. It needs to do certain things before it has a good chance to live outside the shell like dry up blood vessels, absorb the yolk and blood in those external blood vessels, and learn to breathe air instead living in a liquid environment. Some chicks or ducklings start some of his before even internal pip, some do a lot between internal pip and external pip, some wait until after external pip to do a lot of this. There is no set schedule.

I don’t have any great advice as to when to help. It’s more of a feeling after watching many hatches. I have helped some chicks and a turkey that lived and did fine but the majority of the ones I help are dead within a few days. There is often a reason they don’t hatch, they are just not going to make it anyway.

Same here.

Assisting is very time consuming and doesn't often yield great results.

I have helped when I was sure the problem was my fault with poor incubation conditions. Otherwise I don't.

 

I'm of the belief that if they don't jump out of the egg lively, they weren't meant to make it.

Coddling needy birds doesn't doo the breed or line any benefits.

NPIP 43-813

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.

Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”                  Mark Twain

Reply

NPIP 43-813

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.

Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”                  Mark Twain

Reply
post #6 of 7
Let us know how the egg is doing. Hopefully it hatches on its own, if it can't /doesn't, and you want/need assistance, just give a holler!
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by traceyanne View Post

I am on day 28 in the incubating process and my baby, which was moving alot yesterday, is no longer moving. Has he/she died? How long should I wait? Oh, the egg is a Pekin Duck egg. Thanks

Welcome to BYC!

-Kathy
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Incubating & Hatching Eggs
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Incubating & Hatching Eggs › My baby is not moving anymore!!!