BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Managing Your Flock › How do I comfort my rooster?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How do I comfort my rooster?

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 

Last night my little hen, Nugget, died. My rooster was very attached to her and seems very distressed about her not being there. Before I moved her out of the coop he was cuddling up with her and making some very heart wrenching sounds. So my question is how do I comfort him? He is the last in the flock and I plan on getting more, but can't seem to find any adult hens in my area right now. It pains me to see him this way as they were never apart from each other. He is a Dark Cornish and so was she. Please help! I hate seeing him in this depression. Thank you!!

post #2 of 9

Chickens are flock animals.  He needs company.  I always recommend that a minimum of 3 birds should be kept.  That way if one dies two remain to provide company for one another.  Good luck in locating some company for him.  Have you tried your state thread to see if someone 'local' can help you out?

Friends are the family you make for yourself.
There are no coincidences- only providences.
Reply
Friends are the family you make for yourself.
There are no coincidences- only providences.
Reply
post #3 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourland View Post
 

Chickens are flock animals.  He needs company.  I always recommend that a minimum of 3 birds should be kept.  That way if one dies two remain to provide company for one another.  Good luck in locating some company for him.  Have you tried your state thread to see if someone 'local' can help you out?

I used to have 2 hens, but one had to be put down about a year ago due to a leg deformity. I am going to try and call some local hatcheries to see if they have any extra pullets or hens that weren't sold this last year. Thank you for answering my question. I assumed that he would need company. Is it better to do this as soon as possible? I can't seem to find any birds for sale around me. Will he sink into some sort of depression or something? I'm just worried about him. They were basically attached at the hip. Thank you so much for your help!!!

post #4 of 9


Sorry about your loss. Yep, I'd say the sooner the better, but I'm not sure about him going into depression - not sure thats a chicken thing.

 

Good luck

 

CT

Nairobi, Kenya
Reply
Nairobi, Kenya
Reply
post #5 of 9
Chickens don't get depressed, they get stressed though and adding some more hens will fix that.

Aussie Mum to
our sizzle Al

our neurotic Partridge Silkie Penny

and our sweethearts the Salmon Favorelles girls, Colonel , Winry & Carl
And our big girls the Australorps, Pepper, Blackie and Tonio

Reply

Aussie Mum to
our sizzle Al

our neurotic Partridge Silkie Penny

and our sweethearts the Salmon Favorelles girls, Colonel , Winry & Carl
And our big girls the Australorps, Pepper, Blackie and Tonio

Reply
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by appps View Post

Chickens don't get depressed, they get stressed though and adding some more hens will fix that.

Agrees^^^    

.......or he will get used to being alone in a few days or weeks.

they don't like changes, but are resilient in adjusting to them.

 

They also can react to human feelings of fear, anxiety, nervousness, etc...best to be calm around him.


Edited by aart - 1/29/16 at 4:57am

Great article on VENTILATION, one of THE MOST IMPORTANT aspects of coop design.

Fantastic treatise to help decide how much SPACE your chickens need.

 

Chicken math is not just 'addition'...but also should include Division, Multiplication and especially Subtraction!!!

 

Quoting centrarchid:

"Make every effort to understand your chicken's biology and the environment that supports it."

Reply

Great article on VENTILATION, one of THE MOST IMPORTANT aspects of coop design.

Fantastic treatise to help decide how much SPACE your chickens need.

 

Chicken math is not just 'addition'...but also should include Division, Multiplication and especially Subtraction!!!

 

Quoting centrarchid:

"Make every effort to understand your chicken's biology and the environment that supports it."

Reply
post #7 of 9

Go to where you get feed, and ask if anyone else is buying chicken feed. The feed store probably won't give you them your name, but you could leave yours and ask to be called.

They might have a couple hens that you could buy. Might be older birds, but it should put him right. 

 

I don't think he will die or get depressed, and he could get used to being alone, but he will be happier with some hens.

 

MK

Western South Dakota Rancher
Reply
Western South Dakota Rancher
Reply
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennasaur7 View Post
 

Last night my little hen, Nugget, died. My rooster was very attached to her and seems very distressed about her not being there. Before I moved her out of the coop he was cuddling up with her and making some very heart wrenching sounds. So my question is how do I comfort him? He is the last in the flock and I plan on getting more, but can't seem to find any adult hens in my area right now. It pains me to see him this way as they were never apart from each other. He is a Dark Cornish and so was she. Please help! I hate seeing him in this depression. Thank you!!

Go on your state's thread and ask if anyone has a couple of hens you could buy.

Jesus Christ is my pilot.

My husband of 41 years is my best friend and co-pilot.

Enjoying my gardens.  My flock are my garden helpers.

Breeding a winter hearty flock with small combs and colored eggs.

Favorite breeds:  Dominique and EE.  Hatching addict.

 

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1084432/egg-gender-selection-survey

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1013154/byc-member-interview-laz...

Reply

Jesus Christ is my pilot.

My husband of 41 years is my best friend and co-pilot.

Enjoying my gardens.  My flock are my garden helpers.

Breeding a winter hearty flock with small combs and colored eggs.

Favorite breeds:  Dominique and EE.  Hatching addict.

 

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1084432/egg-gender-selection-survey

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1013154/byc-member-interview-laz...

Reply
post #9 of 9

Craig's list could help too.  Post which part of WI you are in, in the "cheeseheads thread", someone will be able to help.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Managing Your Flock
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Managing Your Flock › How do I comfort my rooster?