BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures › Help! Microscopic bird mites infestation.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Help! Microscopic bird mites infestation.

post #1 of 3
Thread Starter 

Two weeks ago, I had a few microscopic bird mite bites on my skin, whenever I handle my chickens. Now, I had 2-3 times more than what I had 2 weeks ago on my skin. I can confirm that it was  microscopic bird mite bite, since my mom's dermatologist examined it, and confirmed it. My chickens have had mites before, but it was mites that can easily be seen with the naked eye. They are easily eradicated, by the chicken, if they had dust bathing and they can groom themselves and by applying soap and water when they take a bath. I know, that oral Ivermectin works on killing mites, but I don't know the right dosage for microscopic bird mites.Please provide an official link, and toxic dose and therapeutic dose for microscopic bird mites.

 

I think they got it from the wild birds.


Edited by Luckybaby - 1/27/16 at 3:53am
post #2 of 3

Bird mites and lice don't infest people.  They might crawl on you, but it sounds to me like you have a bad mite or lice infestation from either your chickens, or sometimes wild birds can leave tons of  mites in certain areas and they might be breeding there.  I read a story once about birds nesting in someone's attic, and the mites or lice were coming into the house and getting on a baby.  Sounds to me like you are picking them up from somewhere.

Humankind has not woven the web of life.  We are but one thread within it.  Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves.  All things are bound together.  All things connect.

Chief Seattle
Reply
Humankind has not woven the web of life.  We are but one thread within it.  Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves.  All things are bound together.  All things connect.

Chief Seattle
Reply
post #3 of 3

They don't live on people, but they do bite people and can leave little bumps.

 

The most common therapeutic oral ivermectin dose for birds is only 0.2mg/kg, which is almost impossible to give when using the 1% injectable or the 1.87% horse paste. There are some pigeon formularies that list amounts up to 1mg/kg.

In some species of birds, ivermectin is toxic at only 0.4mg/kg.

Ivermectin is *not* water soluble.

 

Mites:

http://parasitipedia.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2540&Itemid=2816

Quote:
 Macrocyclic lactones (e.g. ivermectinmoxidectin), whether for oral delivery or as injectables do not control northern fowl mites: the effective dose would be very close to the dose that is toxic for the birds. Moreover, in most countries macrocyclic lactones are no approved for use on poultry.

 

http://parasitipedia.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2449&Itemid=2716

Quote:
 

SAFETY

Oral LD50, rat, acute*:  25 mg/kg
Dermal LD50, rat, acute*: >660 mg/kg

 

I don't know what that toxic dose in chickens is, but many people give up to 12x the recommended dose.

 

Probably best to get some permethrin poultry dust and dust them. You will also need to treat their coop, perches and nesting boxes with a permethrin spray.

 

-Kathy

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures › Help! Microscopic bird mites infestation.