BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying › Rooster aggressive towards hens/problem rooster
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rooster aggressive towards hens/problem rooster

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
This would be my first Rooster and I'm not sure if it's because he's young or what but he doesn't seem to be upholding his male duties as well as I thought he would by now. Hes an olive egger and 21-22 weeks. He's with 5 hens of different breeds and seems to do okay with them (was raised with them) but I haven't seen him tidbitting, dancing for a hen or really doing anything really, except pick on the hens. I gave him back to my breeder when he was 15 weeks because he was too aggressive and decided to get him back a few days later because I didn't realize how attached I was to him. He went back with the hens just fine and I didn't have a problem until recently. I tried introducing a new hen and it went pretty bad so I pulled her and put her with my silkies. Not only did the hens attack her when I tried to introduce her, the rooster seemed to lead it. He was very aggressive and mind you I've tried introducing this hen several times with no luck. He also seems to single out certain hens (like the French black copper maran) and drive her from the feeding stations. Originally he did this to the RIR but now it's the FBCM. I thought maybe it was because they were sick or something but no, there's nothing wrong with the hen. I'm not quite sure what to do at this point with him. I want to keep him but id his issues ares fixable it's going to be a problem. I thought about making him the rooster of my mixed nonbreeding flock who only lays eggs but if he's mean to the hens I'm not sure if it's a good idea from what I've read about aggressive Roos. I need some advice or tips on how to fix this situation lol
I believe I am chicken crazy and the dozens of chicks in my room will attest to that.
Reply
I believe I am chicken crazy and the dozens of chicks in my room will attest to that.
Reply
post #2 of 9
Thread Starter 
Another thing is he doesn't break up an fights between the hens. Honestly the bossy little Ameracauna hen (there's a pair of sisters in there) seems to run the show more then he does.
I believe I am chicken crazy and the dozens of chicks in my room will attest to that.
Reply
I believe I am chicken crazy and the dozens of chicks in my room will attest to that.
Reply
post #3 of 9
He's definitely not a good rooster, but he's also really young, I would either give him back or I would build him a separation pen to keep him in for a few months. I've had great luck doing it this way. Most roosters mature and settle down, and the hens mature and are more willing to listen to him and his bossiness. He's really young to be already hormonally raging.

Some of mine go into rooster jail at 5 months and don't permanently come out until closer to a year. I don't believe some roosters can be honestly judged until they reach a year old, by then their habits are fairly well set. I do occasionally let them out to see if they are improving, the first hen screaming I hear I round him back up and try again at another time. Eventually I can make a fair judgment about his worthiness and then make the decision on whether I keep him or not.

Any human aggression is never tolerated and I would quickly cull any that showed it after a week or two of reminding the rooster who is boss, thankfully I don't have that problem very often..
Chickens, muscovy ducks, turkeys, donkeys , goats, dogs, fish, parakeets, a parrot, and a cat.

Chickens and dogs are healing to the soul.

I brake for squirrels.

Some of my birds.
http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/my-wisconsin-flock
Reply
Chickens, muscovy ducks, turkeys, donkeys , goats, dogs, fish, parakeets, a parrot, and a cat.

Chickens and dogs are healing to the soul.

I brake for squirrels.

Some of my birds.
http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/my-wisconsin-flock
Reply
post #4 of 9

I got rid of both roosters in my little flock.  Simply put, they are jerks.  It's their nature, and that's fine, but they continually antagonized my hens.  Now that they're gone, the hens are MUCH happier, calmer.  The girls still have a pecking order, with one hen in particular being more aggressive, but it's nothing like the incessant bullying from the roosters.  My neighbors also appreciate the quietness.  All of my immediate neighbors are in agreement to not have roosters in our flocks so we can sleep in the summer with our windows open.  Since both of my roosters were beautiful RIR's, I got $5 each at my local feed/supply store. Best $5 I ever got. :)

post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWhisperer View Post
 

I got rid of both roosters in my little flock.  Simply put, they are jerks.  It's their nature, and that's fine, but they continually antagonized my hens.  Now that they're gone, the hens are MUCH happier, calmer.  The girls still have a pecking order, with one hen in particular being more aggressive, but it's nothing like the incessant bullying from the roosters.  My neighbors also appreciate the quietness.  All of my immediate neighbors are in agreement to not have roosters in our flocks so we can sleep in the summer with our windows open.  Since both of my roosters were beautiful RIR's, I got $5 each at my local feed/supply store. Best $5 I ever got. :)


Agreed, my roosters were more hassle than they were worth (including earache from my wife about their crowing :D) so my girls are now roosterless and seem a lot happier for it (I know i am).

 

CT

Nairobi, Kenya
Reply
Nairobi, Kenya
Reply
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kissofcrimson View Post

This would be my first Rooster and I'm not sure if it's because he's young or what but he doesn't seem to be upholding his male duties as well as I thought he would by now. Hes an olive egger and 21-22 weeks. He's with 5 hens of different breeds and seems to do okay with them (was raised with them) but I haven't seen him tidbitting, dancing for a hen or really doing anything really, except pick on the hens. I gave him back to my breeder when he was 15 weeks because he was too aggressive and decided to get him back a few days later because I didn't realize how attached I was to him. He went back with the hens just fine and I didn't have a problem until recently. I tried introducing a new hen and it went pretty bad so I pulled her and put her with my silkies. Not only did the hens attack her when I tried to introduce her, the rooster seemed to lead it. He was very aggressive and mind you I've tried introducing this hen several times with no luck. He also seems to single out certain hens (like the French black copper maran) and drive her from the feeding stations. Originally he did this to the RIR but now it's the FBCM. I thought maybe it was because they were sick or something but no, there's nothing wrong with the hen. I'm not quite sure what to do at this point with him. I want to keep him but id his issues ares fixable it's going to be a problem. I thought about making him the rooster of my mixed nonbreeding flock who only lays eggs but if he's mean to the hens I'm not sure if it's a good idea from what I've read about aggressive Roos. I need some advice or tips on how to fix this situation lol

He's too young to accurately assess..I have a great cock bird, but he didn't get great until he was over a year old.

 

Adding any 'strange' bird(s) into a flock is going to cause aggression from the existing birds.

Great article on VENTILATION, one of THE MOST IMPORTANT aspects of coop design.

Fantastic treatise to help decide how much SPACE your chickens need.

 

Chicken math is not just 'addition'...but also should include Division, Multiplication and especially Subtraction!!!

 

Quoting centrarchid:

"Make every effort to understand your chicken's biology and the environment that supports it."

Reply

Great article on VENTILATION, one of THE MOST IMPORTANT aspects of coop design.

Fantastic treatise to help decide how much SPACE your chickens need.

 

Chicken math is not just 'addition'...but also should include Division, Multiplication and especially Subtraction!!!

 

Quoting centrarchid:

"Make every effort to understand your chicken's biology and the environment that supports it."

Reply
post #7 of 9
Thread Starter 
I know but I thought since they had met before it wouldn't be so bad... I was wrong lol. Whenever I brought my rooster back home he was with the little RIR hen and I had tried introducing her to the big flock then. He was fine with her, it was just the hens at the time.

Well, I got a gorgeous black Ameraucana rooster to go with my FOE and Ameraucanas now. He's a total gentleman and so nice. I also found out I had another rooster in that pen and can't believe I didn't realize that it was a roo and not a hen.. I had suspicions a couple months ago but he's never crowed, but seems to have all the lady's attentions right now. He's just odd.
I believe I am chicken crazy and the dozens of chicks in my room will attest to that.
Reply
I believe I am chicken crazy and the dozens of chicks in my room will attest to that.
Reply
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kissofcrimson View Post

I know but I thought since they had met before it wouldn't be so bad... I was wrong lol. Whenever I brought my rooster back home he was with the little RIR hen and I had tried introducing her to the big flock then. He was fine with her, it was just the hens at the time.

Well, I got a gorgeous black Ameraucana rooster to go with my FOE and Ameraucanas now. He's a total gentleman and so nice. I also found out I had another rooster in that pen and can't believe I didn't realize that it was a roo and not a hen.. I had suspicions a couple months ago but he's never crowed, but seems to have all the lady's attentions right now. He's just odd.


It's not uncommon for subordinate roos not to crow, but if he's buttering up the ladies and getting away with it, then he's one smooth operator! :)

 

CT

Nairobi, Kenya
Reply
Nairobi, Kenya
Reply
post #9 of 9
Thread Starter 
Lol he sure is. It's funny to watch because one day the 4 hens will be with him and the next they're with the Orpington. It's like a constant tug-of-war game between the two but I haven't seen any fighting, like at all, which I thought I would have seen but I guess not.
I believe I am chicken crazy and the dozens of chicks in my room will attest to that.
Reply
I believe I am chicken crazy and the dozens of chicks in my room will attest to that.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying › Rooster aggressive towards hens/problem rooster