BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Managing Your Flock › HELP!!!!! Mean Rooster
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HELP!!!!! Mean Rooster - Page 5

post #41 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhenlikesdogs View Post

He wouldn't last long around here, I'm not going to be terrorized by my poultry, that's no way to live.
He doesn't scare me he dose my kids. He is an amazing protector. But his aggression just keeps getting worse. There is 2 roos to 24 hens and he has 2 acres to roam and the older he gets the meaner he gets he is starting to try and be mean to the hens as well. He will soon be soup. The other roo is a silkie and a love bug.
post #42 of 47
My parents let the roosters chase us as kids, I always wished they had done something besides call us babies and make us check for eggs. I think your kids will appreciate you getting rid of him.
Chickens, muscovy ducks, turkeys, donkeys , goats, dogs, fish, parakeets, a parrot, and a cat.

Chickens and dogs are healing to the soul.

I brake for squirrels.

Some of my birds.
http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/my-wisconsin-flock
Reply
Chickens, muscovy ducks, turkeys, donkeys , goats, dogs, fish, parakeets, a parrot, and a cat.

Chickens and dogs are healing to the soul.

I brake for squirrels.

Some of my birds.
http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/my-wisconsin-flock
Reply
post #43 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpuppet View Post


He doesn't scare me he dose my kids. He is an amazing protector. But his aggression just keeps getting worse. There is 2 roos to 24 hens and he has 2 acres to roam and the older he gets the meaner he gets he is starting to try and be mean to the hens as well. He will soon be soup. The other roo is a silkie and a love bug.

Why is he still alive? Especially when he goes after  your kids. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhenlikesdogs View Post

My parents let the roosters chase us as kids, I always wished they had done something besides call us babies and make us check for eggs. I think your kids will appreciate you getting rid of him.

Agreed. I don't know how old your kids are, but this could cause a lifelong fear of chickens for them. (I have a friend who is terrified of anything with a beak because of a bad experience as a child)

Chickens off and on for 25+ years and still learning.

Reply

Chickens off and on for 25+ years and still learning.

Reply
post #44 of 47
Before he never went after my kids just in the last couple days he has done it twice he trys to flog me and spur me and never once them. He just charged them but he isnt alive anylonger. We culled him today going to be a good pot of soup
post #45 of 47
That's good to hear, hopefully he's tasty.
Chickens, muscovy ducks, turkeys, donkeys , goats, dogs, fish, parakeets, a parrot, and a cat.

Chickens and dogs are healing to the soul.

I brake for squirrels.

Some of my birds.
http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/my-wisconsin-flock
Reply
Chickens, muscovy ducks, turkeys, donkeys , goats, dogs, fish, parakeets, a parrot, and a cat.

Chickens and dogs are healing to the soul.

I brake for squirrels.

Some of my birds.
http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/my-wisconsin-flock
Reply
post #46 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpuppet View Post

Before he never went after my kids just in the last couple days he has done it twice he trys to flog me and spur me and never once them. He just charged them but he isnt alive anylonger. We culled him today going to be a good pot of soup

Nothing tastier than Mean Rooster Soup! 

Chickens off and on for 25+ years and still learning.

Reply

Chickens off and on for 25+ years and still learning.

Reply
post #47 of 47
Thread Starter 
I ended up culling him but I do have another roo that stated acting a little aggressive so I started picking him up and carrying him around with me every time he would start to show aggression. At first you could tell he was a little butt hurt, lol it was kind of funny. Now he will dance and I bend over to pick him up and he just sits there and takes it because he knows I will win. He doesn't get aggressive anymore and is even more likely to lay down at your feet than attack you. But, I have tried this with other Roo's who ended up as soup. Doesn't always work.

Stay at home mother, and crazy for my chickens. Currently I have a small mixed flock of RIR, Barred Rock, Black Sexlinks. I am sure the breeds are not pure they are feed store left overs that no one else wanted. I also have a small flock of Bantam silkies. 

 

Reply

Stay at home mother, and crazy for my chickens. Currently I have a small mixed flock of RIR, Barred Rock, Black Sexlinks. I am sure the breeds are not pure they are feed store left overs that no one else wanted. I also have a small flock of Bantam silkies. 

 

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Managing Your Flock
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Managing Your Flock › HELP!!!!! Mean Rooster