(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
Yes, I am new to chickens. We raised 10 Red Rangers for meat last spring, but that was our first flock.
(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
We have 35 Buff Orpingtons
(3) What breeds do you have?
Just one...Buff Orpingtons
(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
Since I am new to chickens (and farming/homestead life, in general), I've had lots of questions. After searching around the internet, it seemed like Back Yard Chickens forum kept coming up with answers.
(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
Hiking, hunting, fishing, riding motorcycles, raising livestock, and (soon) farming.
(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
My wife and I have two children...a son (17) and daughter (15). We have two labs...one chocolate and one yellow. I spent 26 years in the military, and retired from the Marines in May 2014. I am now trying to live a self-reliant lifestyle on our small (15 acre) farm where we mill our own lumber and raise chickens, pigs, and (soon) goats. We also want to begin growing our own fruits and vegetables.
I was born in Littleton Colorado. When I retired from the Marine Corps in 2014 we lived in Fredericksburg, Virginia. We now live in southwest Virginia...about 30 minutes south of Blacksburg/Christiansburg. We love our new quiet life that is connected to nature.
Edited by hveggeberg - 1/30/16 at 2:00am