Originally Posted by Gridguru
I've been lurking in the background and reading many many posts for a while now. I decided to go ahead and join and post updates on my coop construction in case any future first-timers (like me) might find this helpful. I hope thats okay.
So big picture story before i get started. We moved a little bit out in the country a few years ago and my wife has been begging for chicken ever since. I've always said no. Then some friends got chickens a year ago. They don't take very good care of their chickens unfortunately, but my wife goes over almost every day to sit with them and take them snacks. They love her. They run up and crouch to be picked up every time they see her.
So i caved. Plus, i really dig the design and construction process, so it's a win-win i guess. I am a big researcher and have been reading everything i can find about owning chickens, but that said, i am definitely a novice. If you see anything that's out of place or wrong, please let me know.
The coop will be a 6x6 raised base. It will have a slant roof, 6.5 feet from the base on the high side. The nesting boxes will protrude from the one side. The plan is for 8 chickens. We will have a run as well, but i'll tackle that when this is done.
My plan is to build it in pieces, starting with the base, and then doing each framed wall separately. That way I can do the construction in the garage and driveway rather than in the backyard. I can then carry all the pieces out to the yard to assemble when I am ready.
I started with the base, which should be the heaviest part by far, but we should be able to manage it okay.
So I cut the pieces that will form my base flooring for the coop. The coop will be big enough so that we can get inside to clean, so that’s why it’s not just a bunch of 2x4s. It will need to support our weight and the weight of the framed walls/roof. Oh, and the chickens (negligible).
Next I added 18inch 4x6 posts in the corners. My neighbor had grape vines for years and gave me his old posts. They are awesome. Weathered, straight and in good condition. Oh, and free.
Legs on, I flipped the whole thing upright and added the framing at the bottom of the legs. The one side is open as chickens will be able to go under there to get out of the sun or rain, dust baths, run away from mean chickens, etc...
Finally, I cut the plywood to fit the top. I am not going to attach it however as Base + Plywood would be too heavy to carry all the way to the back. I’ll secure the ply as I assemble. The roll on top is vinyl flooring. I’ll put this down on the plywood as it will make coop cleanup easier down the road i hope.
More to come. I’ll be taking my time on this as we wont have chickens ready for the coop until April most likely.