BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Raising Baby Chicks › "Unimprinting" chicks?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

"Unimprinting" chicks?

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
I know this question is pointless but my curiosity is killing me -.- Is it possible for, say, a week old chick who thinks you're "mom/dad" to stop thinking you as a parent after maybe a month or two? Because if I get too many roosters in my hatching eggs I know I have to sell them...can't bear to think about it if they imprint on me, then I can't face it. So, any ideas?
post #2 of 8

They don't imprint on you so much as Mom...it's more, "Hey look!  There's the hand that gives us good things to eat!!" Now, suddenly you aren't there but there's another human..."Hey look!  There's the hand that gives us good things to eat!" :weee

"When raising chickens you must think like a chicken...NOT like a human!"

http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-to-prepare-for-emergencies-diseases-injuries-before-they-happen 

 

Reply

"When raising chickens you must think like a chicken...NOT like a human!"

http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-to-prepare-for-emergencies-diseases-injuries-before-they-happen 

 

Reply
post #3 of 8

Also, boy chicks become hormonal fairly early on and their focus isn't on any human, but on girl chicks. They really don't consider you as being very necessary to their existence. So don't feel like you're going to traumatize the little darlings by re-homing or butchering them. It's simply not in the equation.

post #4 of 8

Chickens need other chickens, and the only real issues are with solitary chicks raised without other birds.  That's totally unnatural and will make integration into bird society more difficult.  Mary

post #5 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folly's place View Post

Chickens need other chickens, and the only real issues are with solitary chicks raised without other birds.  That's totally unnatural and will make integration into bird society more difficult.  Mary

I'm going to buy 12 hatching eggs and after a couple months I will remove some
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by estheramelia View Post


I'm going to buy 12 hatching eggs and after a couple months I will remove some

Well, there is no guarantee they will all hatch. There is no guarantee any will hatch. Have you incubated before? Are these local or shipped eggs?

 

Have a backup plan if you wind up with a singleton hatchling. Trust me on that one.

post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by estheramelia View Post

I know this question is pointless but my curiosity is killing me -.- Is it possible for, say, a week old chick who thinks you're "mom/dad" to stop thinking you as a parent after maybe a month or two? Because if I get too many roosters in my hatching eggs I know I have to sell them...can't bear to think about it if they imprint on me, then I can't face it. So, any ideas?

Chicks imprint on the first big movable object that they are exposed to.  Ideally that object should be their momma.  They neither love or loath you, it's just their way of keeping from getting separated from their nest mates.

Keep your chickens safe from predators, buy and wear fur. 
Reply
Keep your chickens safe from predators, buy and wear fur. 
Reply
post #8 of 8
I know ducklings imprint on humans but I didn't really think chicks did that. At least I didn't find my chicks did that even though there were only two of them and they were inside with me till about 5 weeks old. They are now about 14 weeks and are far from under the impression I'm mum. In fact I think my broody raised chick last year was less nervous of me than these guys are.
Edited by appps - 2/2/16 at 11:42pm

Aussie Mum to
our sizzle Al

our neurotic Partridge Silkie Penny

and our sweethearts the Salmon Favorelles girls, Colonel , Winry & Carl
And our big girls the Australorps, Pepper, Blackie and Tonio

Reply

Aussie Mum to
our sizzle Al

our neurotic Partridge Silkie Penny

and our sweethearts the Salmon Favorelles girls, Colonel , Winry & Carl
And our big girls the Australorps, Pepper, Blackie and Tonio

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Raising Baby Chicks
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Raising Baby Chicks › "Unimprinting" chicks?