Wat do quail need in coop
Featured Stories on BackYard Chickens
Nope. They don't roost and they will happily lay anywhere BUT in a nesting box. They really, really like a dust bath, but your best bet for collecting clean eggs would be to keep them in cages with a 1:12 slope and allow the eggs to roll out onto a ledge.
I haven't tried it, but if you made 95% of your cage nesting boxes, they would likely lay in the other 5%, which would work just as well...
They do drink a crap-load of water, though, so make sure they have plenty.
Coturnix seam to just lay wherever they are when the notion hits them, most of mine lay while playing in the sandbox (they love it so much they only get out to eat/drink), i've seen them lay while walking across the pen, most don't seam to have any instinct of when they are about to lay.
Edited by JetCat - 2/10/16 at 4:08pm