Used Coop - Advice on sanitizing/repairs?
Hello there! I'm a newbie so any advice is greatly appreciated. I have 7 chicks coming in March for a small flock. My husband just bought a used Coop and 2 adult SLW roos. They are in the coop now, but he plans to build another small coop for them so that the chicks can use this coop when they get moved outside. What is the best way to sanitize it before making the switch? Would I need to sanitize if I'm going to paint the wood on the inside? Thanks! I'll post pics of it tomorrow if anyone has ideas for improvements. I know the run is too low. When the roos crow and extend their necks, their combs rub the top of the wire. I'm assuming that's causing the tops of their combs to look dry and whitish, and not some other issue? TIA!
Yes, pics would help, but it sounds as if you have figured out some of the limitations already (run height). If you can raise the run to human height, it makes maintenance so much easier!
I would clean the coop with a dilute bleach solution. Some folks don't like bleach at all, and frankly, I avoid it as much as possible. But you just don't know what may be harboring there, either from the two roos, or whatever was in there before.
Younger chicks are more susceptible to disease. Vinegar (my go to cleaner, usually), and hydrogen peroxide just don't get all potential germs.
This is probably pretty standard advice:
"Use ½ cup of Clorox® Regular-Bleach per GALLON of water. Pre-wash surface with detergent and water, then apply the sanitizingsolution of bleach and water. Allow solution to contact surface for at least 5 minutes for optimum effectiveness. Afterward, rinse and-or air dry."
Let it air dry really well, if you can. Then paint it with a white wash, or whatever paint you choose. A lot of people like white, because you can see icky things like mites, etc., if they are there.
It a very good idea to consider using vinyl flooring on the floor of the coop, and caulk the edges. Then you can paint the walls/ceiling.
Edited by lynnehd - 2/9/16 at 10:09pm
- The Token Finn
Quick warning since both vinegar and bleach are mentioned in the reply - NEVER mix bleach and vinegar. They react and release chlorine gas, which can cause some pretty nasty lung issues.
Of course! But always wise to mention.
The can each be used as cleaning agents at different times. Personally I would use the bleach initially, because it is a used coop.
From then on, you could switch to Vinegar for your cleaning needs.