BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Other BackYard Poultry › Guinea Fowl › Some questions for the guinea genetics experts out there (color crossing outcomes)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Some questions for the guinea genetics experts out there (color crossing outcomes)

post #1 of 4
Thread Starter 
Hi there. I'm looking to determine what sort of outcomes I can expect from the following crosses:

Pied Pearl X Bronze
Pied Pearl X White

Lavender X Bronze
Lavender X White

Royal Purple X Bronze
Royal Purple X White

White X Bronze
(White X White I think I can guess!)

In particular I'm very curious as far as the Bronze X Purple cross goes, I have to think it will be quite pretty.

In total I have one Bronze hen, one White hen, one Royal Purple cock, one Pied Pearl cock, one White cock, and three Lavender cocks (well, two cocks and one younger probable cock),

Thanks for any help.

200 something birds. 8 species. ♥ Norman ♥ Norma ♥ Misha ♥ and ♥ Taylor ♥ are my babies.
Visit Norman the Rooster's Thread Here!
Breeding Sex Linked Silkies, Gamefowl, and EEs/OEs. Amateur genetics buff. Caponization practitioner/advocate.
Working at The Poultry Palace in Placerville, CA. Come see us for started pullets, chicks, Bar Ale feed, & more!

Reply

200 something birds. 8 species. ♥ Norman ♥ Norma ♥ Misha ♥ and ♥ Taylor ♥ are my babies.
Visit Norman the Rooster's Thread Here!
Breeding Sex Linked Silkies, Gamefowl, and EEs/OEs. Amateur genetics buff. Caponization practitioner/advocate.
Working at The Poultry Palace in Placerville, CA. Come see us for started pullets, chicks, Bar Ale feed, & more!

Reply
post #2 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenMisha View Post

Hi there. I'm looking to determine what sort of outcomes I can expect from the following crosses:

Pied Pearl X Bronze
Pied Pearl X White

Lavender X Bronze
Lavender X White

Royal Purple X Bronze
Royal Purple X White

White X Bronze
(White X White I think I can guess!)

In particular I'm very curious as far as the Bronze X Purple cross goes, I have to think it will be quite pretty.

In total I have one Bronze hen, one White hen, one Royal Purple cock, one Pied Pearl cock, one White cock, and three Lavender cocks (well, two cocks and one younger probable cock),

Thanks for any help.

http://www.guineafowl.com/fritsfarm/guineas/genetics/

 

http://sellers.kippenjungle.nl/page8.html

 

http://jhered.oxfordjournals.org/content/87/2/138.full.pdf

 

http://guineas.com/articles/genetics.php

 

I only saw bronze mentioned once so there isn't going to be much help with the bronze since there apparently isn't much known about the bronze genetics.

 

Pied Pearl x White will yield 50% Pied Pearl and 50% White.

 

Lavender x White will yield 100% Pied Lavender.

 

Royal Purple x White should yield 100% Pied Royal Purple.

 

Bronze x White should yield 100% Pied Bronze.

 

Of course White x White will yield 100% White.

 

These are all assuming that there are no mutations.

 

Bronze is listed as partial dotting and a variation of Royal Purple meaning it probably has a single DSV (dark shade variant) gene where the Royal Purple has two DSV genes.

 

If your Lavender is homozygous for full dotting, crossing it with a bronze will create an offspring that is fully dotted but carries the recessive partial dotting gene.  I do not know what the color gene that is carried by the bronze for sure but it is likely to be dominant to the blue color gene carried by the lavender.  My guess is that the offspring of this cross are likely to look like Pearl guineas.  Of course if the Lavender is heterozygous, you will probably get some that look like pearls and some that look like Royal Purples and some that look like Bronzes.

 

The Bronze crossed with the Royal Purple is likely to just produce Royal Purples and Bronzes.

 

I suspect that a Pied Pearl crossed with the Bronze will produce Pearls and Pied Pearls.

Welsummers, mixed breed chickens, Blue Slate turkeys, Sweetgrass turkeys and guineas.

In wonderful Wyoming.

Bob

 

My photo album

Reply

Welsummers, mixed breed chickens, Blue Slate turkeys, Sweetgrass turkeys and guineas.

In wonderful Wyoming.

Bob

 

My photo album

Reply
post #3 of 4
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2elk View Post

http://www.guineafowl.com/fritsfarm/guineas/genetics/

http://sellers.kippenjungle.nl/page8.html

http://jhered.oxfordjournals.org/content/87/2/138.full.pdf

http://guineas.com/articles/genetics.php

I only saw bronze mentioned once so there isn't going to be much help with the bronze since there apparently isn't much known about the bronze genetics.

Pied Pearl x White will yield 50% Pied Pearl and 50% White.

Lavender x White will yield 100% Pied Lavender.

Royal Purple x White should yield 100% Pied Royal Purple.

Bronze x White should yield 100% Pied Bronze.

Of course White x White will yield 100% White.

These are all assuming that there are no mutations.

Bronze is listed as partial dotting and a variation of Royal Purple meaning it probably has a single DSV (dark shade variant) gene where the Royal Purple has two DSV genes.

If your Lavender is homozygous for full dotting, crossing it with a bronze will create an offspring that is fully dotted but carries the recessive partial dotting gene.  I do not know what the color gene that is carried by the bronze for sure but it is likely to be dominant to the blue color gene carried by the lavender.  My guess is that the offspring of this cross are likely to look like Pearl guineas.  Of course if the Lavender is heterozygous, you will probably get some that look like pearls and some that look like Royal Purples and some that look like Bronzes.

The Bronze crossed with the Royal Purple is likely to just produce Royal Purples and Bronzes.

I suspect that a Pied Pearl crossed with the Bronze will produce Pearls and Pied Pearls.

Thanks for the run down! And the links too - I'm getting pretty good within chicken genetics but Guinea genetics sure are a whole other ball of wax, so it will be fun to study up on those.

I'm super excited about the Pied Royal Purples in particular. I was mostly planning on letting my guineas go nuts and hatching whatever I might get this spring, but with such a pretty outcome I might have to use one of my breeding pens to make sure I get some of that cross.
Edited by QueenMisha - 2/13/16 at 9:21pm

200 something birds. 8 species. ♥ Norman ♥ Norma ♥ Misha ♥ and ♥ Taylor ♥ are my babies.
Visit Norman the Rooster's Thread Here!
Breeding Sex Linked Silkies, Gamefowl, and EEs/OEs. Amateur genetics buff. Caponization practitioner/advocate.
Working at The Poultry Palace in Placerville, CA. Come see us for started pullets, chicks, Bar Ale feed, & more!

Reply

200 something birds. 8 species. ♥ Norman ♥ Norma ♥ Misha ♥ and ♥ Taylor ♥ are my babies.
Visit Norman the Rooster's Thread Here!
Breeding Sex Linked Silkies, Gamefowl, and EEs/OEs. Amateur genetics buff. Caponization practitioner/advocate.
Working at The Poultry Palace in Placerville, CA. Come see us for started pullets, chicks, Bar Ale feed, & more!

Reply
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenMisha View Post


Thanks for the run down! And the links too - I'm getting pretty good within chicken genetics but Guinea genetics sure are a whole other ball of wax, so it will be fun to study up on those.

I'm super excited about the Pied Royal Purples in particular. I was mostly planning on letting my guineas go nuts and hatching whatever I might get this spring, but with such a pretty outcome I might have to use one of my breeding pens to make sure I get some of that cross.


There is too much not known about the color genetics of guineas.  Apparently there is a different variety of white guinea in Australia that yields different than the white guineas in North America.

 

I personally produced Royal Purple guineas last year from the mating of a Chocolate male with a Coral Blue hen.  Based on that the Royal Purples that I produced have one buff gene and one blue gene along with the partial dotting genes from each parent which is supposed to produce an Opaline.  There is something more going on there.  As I recall the Royal Purple is supposed to be caused by the dominant grey gene that the Pearl guineas have but that is not possible in this case other than by mutation.  Since they produced multiple Royal Purple keets, I doubt that it was a case of mutation.  I feel confident that it definitely is related to the DSV.

 

Pied Royal Purples should be very pretty.

 

Good luck.

Welsummers, mixed breed chickens, Blue Slate turkeys, Sweetgrass turkeys and guineas.

In wonderful Wyoming.

Bob

 

My photo album

Reply

Welsummers, mixed breed chickens, Blue Slate turkeys, Sweetgrass turkeys and guineas.

In wonderful Wyoming.

Bob

 

My photo album

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Guinea Fowl
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Other BackYard Poultry › Guinea Fowl › Some questions for the guinea genetics experts out there (color crossing outcomes)