BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Social › New Member Introductions › I'm a Chicken Lover!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I'm a Chicken Lover! - Page 2

post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spookwriter View Post
 

Hello Jake.

 

Building a new house? What style? 

 

When you get a minute to put your hammer down, come on

back and we'll talk chickens.

 

Spook

 

 

 

*That big pretty thing Birdbrain posted is not a chicken. But

man, isn't it beautiful.


Thank you! That's my Indian Blue peacock Colbolt this year. I like to post that photo when greeting people to make them kind of feel welcome. Next year my White peacock will have a gorgeous train of at least 4.5 ft.

post #12 of 19

I would love to have some peacocks. But afraid they would run

off. And my coop is nowhere big enough.

 

What size coop do they need?

post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spookwriter View Post
 

I would love to have some peacocks. But afraid they would run

off. And my coop is nowhere big enough.

 

What size coop do they need?


A pair I recommend a coop of at least 10'x10' and a run of 12'x12'. Both coop and run should be 8' as well that way the male can fan outside and do his courtship dance. Train feathers can reach 6' in length. So if you get a peacock that large he fans at 12' and 6.5' tall. My pens are bigger than that. I've seen other pen ideas. If you make a thread in the Peafowl forum for peafowl pen ideas you will get all sorts of ideas. In the future when I can get more and have larger pens I'm going larger.

post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdrain92 View Post
 


A pair I recommend a coop of at least 10'x10' and a run of 12'x12'. Both coop and run should be 8' as well that way the male can fan outside and do his courtship dance. Train feathers can reach 6' in length. So if you get a peacock that large he fans at 12' and 6.5' tall. My pens are bigger than that. I've seen other pen ideas. If you make a thread in the Peafowl forum for peafowl pen ideas you will get all sorts of ideas. In the future when I can get more and have larger pens I'm going larger.


That's kind of like chicken math on steroids! Beautiful birds you have Birdrain92.

Check out all 11 new mini contests!

BYC Mini Contests - Win a 2017 Calendar!!

Deadlines for all is Dec. 11, 2016

You can't win if you don't play!

 

8th Annual BYC New Year Day Hatch-Along - Hosted by Ronott1

Reply

Check out all 11 new mini contests!

BYC Mini Contests - Win a 2017 Calendar!!

Deadlines for all is Dec. 11, 2016

You can't win if you don't play!

 

8th Annual BYC New Year Day Hatch-Along - Hosted by Ronott1

Reply
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthFLChick View Post
 


That's kind of like chicken math on steroids! Beautiful birds you have Birdrain92.


Yep! Thank you! Right now I own 7 peafowl. I hope to someday own up to 126 breeding peafowl. 14 varieties of peafowl, 9 peafowl for each variety, 3 males and 6 hens per variety.

post #16 of 19
Is it possible to have just 1 peacock in with a bunch of hens?
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluechick2u View Post

Is it possible to have just 1 peacock in with a bunch of hens?

 

1 peacock can breed up to 5 peahens. Usually most breeders will have their pens where they have 1 male with 2 or 3 hens.

post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluechick2u View Post

Is it possible to have just 1 peacock in with a bunch of hens?
Ok I feel stupid, I meant to ask if a peacock can be in with chicken hens, not peahens. Sorry for the confusion!
post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluechick2u View Post


Ok I feel stupid, I meant to ask if a peacock can be in with chicken hens, not peahens. Sorry for the confusion!


He can. I use to keep a bantam hen with one of my peacocks before when I didn't have a peahen but once I got a peahen I moved her out. Sometimes they can be aggressive but not always.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: New Member Introductions
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Social › New Member Introductions › I'm a Chicken Lover!