My daughter, who wants to be a vet tech, helped me with the suturing. None of the vets I called would give me or let me buy real sutures (jerks) and Tractor Supply doesn't carry them (this is why I do most of my shopping on Amazon).
I used the smallest circle needle I could find in my upholstery kit and some nylon thread, both of which I sterilized with alcohol. I trimmed away a little of the dead skin at the top. I know it looks bad, but the skin under the dried black blood on the bottom looks pink and alive when you flip it over, and the yellowish crust wasn't puss-like, it was hard like a scab. I tried to peel it off but it wasn't going anywhere.
The hen was a trooper throughout all this. I want to save her because she lays pink eggs which are kind of cool.
Here I've trimmed away some of the hackle feathers, cleaned the wound, and applied triple antibiotic ointment.