BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Incubating & Hatching Eggs › How much water should I add to an incubator?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How much water should I add to an incubator?

post #1 of 6
Thread Starter 
My reading for humidity is at 90%+. It doesn't seem to drop so I thought I had too much water. Now I took most of it out and it still says 88-90% of humidity? I don't understand how this works. This is the first time using an incubator. Thanks
post #2 of 6
Humidity is created by surface area and not depth of water so you may just have too much surface area. Damp sponges can also help with reducing the area. Opening all vents can also help in reducing your humidity. Environment factors can also play a part with it. Are you quite humid where you are?
Another thought is have you checked your hygrometer to make sure it's giving you the correct reading? It's always best to double check to make sure big_smile.png
post #3 of 6
I usually dry incubate. Then add water when they are about to hatch.

Humidity during incubation usually aroubd 20-25 percent.

Humidity at hatch I try and raise to 70 percent.

Make sure hydrometer is accurate.

If you need to reduce humidity. Remove all water.
Open all vents.

If this doesn't work you can use some rice in a small bowl or lid to help wick humidity out of air.
post #4 of 6
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshire coop View Post

Humidity is created by surface area and not depth of water so you may just have too much surface area. Damp sponges can also help with reducing the area. Opening all vents can also help in reducing your humidity. Environment factors can also play a part with it. Are you quite humid where you are?
Another thought is have you checked your hygrometer to make sure it's giving you the correct reading? It's always best to double check to make sure big_smile.png

How do you double check it's reading correctly? And it is in my bedroom so I'm guessing an average room? Thanks. Sorry, I'm new to all of this.
post #5 of 6
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by feedman77 View Post

I usually dry incubate. Then add water when they are about to hatch.

Humidity during incubation usually aroubd 20-25 percent.

Humidity at hatch I try and raise to 70 percent.

Make sure hydrometer is accurate.

If you need to reduce humidity. Remove all water.
Open all vents.

If this doesn't work you can use some rice in a small bowl or lid to help wick humidity out of air.

How do I know my hygrometer is accurate? And where would be the best location to place an incubator. I have it on my desk in my room near the window. The sun isn't directly hitting it since it never hits it at the specific angle. The sun is on the other side of my house. So the sun doesn't hit it directly, but sunlight does hit it. Thanks and sorry, I'm new to this so I apologize for my questions if they seem to obvious
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamefowl-layers View Post


How do I know my hygrometer is accurate? And where would be the best location to place an incubator. I have it on my desk in my room near the window. The sun isn't directly hitting it since it never hits it at the specific angle. The sun is on the other side of my house. So the sun doesn't hit it directly, but sunlight does hit it. Thanks and sorry, I'm new to this so I apologize for my questions if they seem to obvious

 

 

I do not  do not trust the incubator's readings.  I have a minimum of 4 other calibrated hygrometers in there. You have to calibrate them.  Here are some instructions that I followed to calibrate mine:

 

  1. Try the Salt Test:
    Luckily, as nature would have it, when salt and water (NaCl and H2O for you studious types), are in a saturated solution at equilibrium, the resultant humidity is 75%. This gives a fantastic reference point to calibrate our hygrometer. There is an easy way to determine if your hygrometer is accurate. Here's the procedure you should use: you need a ziploc bag, a screw-on beer bottle cap (or other small container) a small amount of salt (regular 'ole table salt), and water.
    1. Place the salt in the bottle cap (or other small container).
    2. Dampen the salt with water. Do not put so much in that the salt gets "sloppy". You want a damp pile of salt in the bottle cap.
    3. Place both the hygrometer and the bottle cap full of damp salt in the ziploc bag and seal it well. (It is important not to let air on or out while the test is going on.)
    4. Keep it like this for over 8 hours.
    After 8 hours in the damp salt environment, the actual humidity inside the bag will be 75%. Compare it to your hygrometer, your hygrometer should also read 75%. If not, you will then know exactly how far off your hygrometer is. If it's off, note the amount and direction that it actually reads and be sure to add or subtract that amount when reading the hygrometer. If the hygrometer has a control to adjust it (either the needle or the display), you can set the hygrometer to 75% immediately after the test.

    You should salt test your hygrometer every 6 months or so to be sure of the accuracy.
Mom to a BEAUTIFUL little girl, 1 dog, 2 cats, LOTS of fish and an ever growing chicken flock.  Laying hens - 3 RIR, 3 BSL, 3 EE, 2 Delaware, 2 BR and 1 backyard EE mix.  6 wk old babies - 1 NHR, 1 BO (Maybe a Roo), 1 Dominique, 1 BA, 5 EE girls, and 1 EE boy.  Breeding silkies 3 white hens, 1 blue/grey hen, 1 black roo.  Tiny chicks too many to count.
Reply
Mom to a BEAUTIFUL little girl, 1 dog, 2 cats, LOTS of fish and an ever growing chicken flock.  Laying hens - 3 RIR, 3 BSL, 3 EE, 2 Delaware, 2 BR and 1 backyard EE mix.  6 wk old babies - 1 NHR, 1 BO (Maybe a Roo), 1 Dominique, 1 BA, 5 EE girls, and 1 EE boy.  Breeding silkies 3 white hens, 1 blue/grey hen, 1 black roo.  Tiny chicks too many to count.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Incubating & Hatching Eggs
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Incubating & Hatching Eggs › How much water should I add to an incubator?