BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Raising Baby Chicks › First Time Chick Parents, Spring 2016
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

First Time Chick Parents, Spring 2016 - Page 154

post #1531 of 1778
Hi all! Just wanted to share a funny photo of my first two chicks, who are now about 3 months old. They sure grow fast!
20160617_204915.jpg
post #1532 of 1778
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessschlles4 View Post

Hi all! Just wanted to share a funny photo of my first two chicks, who are now about 3 months old. They sure grow fast!
20160617_204915.jpg
That is sooo cute
post #1533 of 1778
Quote:
Originally Posted by athomas718 View Post

What do you think of these two BO chicks. Pullets? or is one a roo? They are 4 weeks old. 




Possible Roo. Ariel. 




The other BO. Not suspecting Roo, but for comparison. This is Belle. 
I love the first ones eye shape lol so so cute I think the second one is a boy and the first possible roo pic is a girl lol love his/her eyes
post #1534 of 1778

The chickens are 7 weeks old this week and growing incredibly fast! 

 

It's been in the 90's and terribly humid in Indiana this week. The chickens were panting so I tossed a bowl full of ice and frozen green beans in the temporary coop. They loved it! So I froze a large chip bowl full of green beans, meal worms and water and put it in there at about 11am. I know it's hard to see under the mound of chickens but this was the best picture I could get. The ice block has been out there for three hours now and they haven't left it. So it's a big hit! I am freezing another block with apple chunks and meal worms for tomorrow. Just in case the temperatures stay as high as they have been. They stopped panting minutes after I put it in there. Nice to see them get some comfort in the heat. 

 

3 Buff Orpington hens named Chocobo, Pikachu and Midge. 1 Buff Orpington Rooster. 3 Barred Rocks named Puff, Pebbles and Silver  1 18 yr. old German Shorthaired Pointer named Orion (passed 5/2016), 2 cats named Not and Beta. 4 Langstroth bee hives and 1 top bar bee hive. 
Reply
3 Buff Orpington hens named Chocobo, Pikachu and Midge. 1 Buff Orpington Rooster. 3 Barred Rocks named Puff, Pebbles and Silver  1 18 yr. old German Shorthaired Pointer named Orion (passed 5/2016), 2 cats named Not and Beta. 4 Langstroth bee hives and 1 top bar bee hive. 
Reply
post #1535 of 1778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenashome View Post

The chickens are 7 weeks old this week and growing incredibly fast! 

It's been in the 90's and terribly humid in Indiana this week. The chickens were panting so I tossed a bowl full of ice and frozen green beans in the temporary coop. They loved it! So I froze a large chip bowl full of green beans, meal worms and water and put it in there at about 11am. I know it's hard to see under the mound of chickens but this was the best picture I could get. The ice block has been out there for three hours now and they haven't left it. So it's a big hit! I am freezing another block with apple chunks and meal worms for tomorrow. Just in case the temperatures stay as high as they have been. They stopped panting minutes after I put it in there. Nice to see them get some comfort in the heat. 


awww!! Yes they grow so fast. Looks just like our BO, turning 8wk tomorrow. How thick is the ice block? I tried corn in water and garlic powder froze it in muffin tins. They sure pecked at it, melted to fast and the ice made them wipe their beaks every time lmbo. I'm going to keep at it though in this ridiculous heat.

new chick mama of 20 chicks: 6 BA, 5 GC, 4 BO, 3 EE, 1 BCM, 1 SLW &

a bunch of 2 legged kiddos along with 2 dogs and 1 turtle

Reply

new chick mama of 20 chicks: 6 BA, 5 GC, 4 BO, 3 EE, 1 BCM, 1 SLW &

a bunch of 2 legged kiddos along with 2 dogs and 1 turtle

Reply
post #1536 of 1778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filiz View Post

I love the first ones eye shape lol so so cute I think the second one is a boy and the first possible roo pic is a girl lol love his/her eyes
top one has larger comb than ours did at 4wk so perhaps a Room, 2nd pic is definitely a female. Also love their names;) we do all Disney names for other animals (squirter crush Woody Jessie & kids aren't allowed to name chicks or they'd be all princess names)

new chick mama of 20 chicks: 6 BA, 5 GC, 4 BO, 3 EE, 1 BCM, 1 SLW &

a bunch of 2 legged kiddos along with 2 dogs and 1 turtle

Reply

new chick mama of 20 chicks: 6 BA, 5 GC, 4 BO, 3 EE, 1 BCM, 1 SLW &

a bunch of 2 legged kiddos along with 2 dogs and 1 turtle

Reply
post #1537 of 1778
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatink7 View Post


awww!! Yes they grow so fast. Looks just like our BO, turning 8wk tomorrow. How thick is the ice block? I tried corn in water and garlic powder froze it in muffin tins. They sure pecked at it, melted to fast and the ice made them wipe their beaks every time lmbo. I'm going to keep at it though in this ridiculous heat.

 

I bought a cheap plastic bowl from the dollar store. It's big enough to hold an entire family sized bag of chips. I filled it just under half full so the block is about 3 inches thick. The nice thing about this bowl is the sides are rounded and the bottom is smaller than the top so the ice just pops right out. I took a picture of it on my dining room chair so you'd have a size reference. It lasts about 3 hours in the shade. I was really pleased because I think this way they will stay hydrated a little better. Tomorrow they get apples and meal worms. :cd

 

3 Buff Orpington hens named Chocobo, Pikachu and Midge. 1 Buff Orpington Rooster. 3 Barred Rocks named Puff, Pebbles and Silver  1 18 yr. old German Shorthaired Pointer named Orion (passed 5/2016), 2 cats named Not and Beta. 4 Langstroth bee hives and 1 top bar bee hive. 
Reply
3 Buff Orpington hens named Chocobo, Pikachu and Midge. 1 Buff Orpington Rooster. 3 Barred Rocks named Puff, Pebbles and Silver  1 18 yr. old German Shorthaired Pointer named Orion (passed 5/2016), 2 cats named Not and Beta. 4 Langstroth bee hives and 1 top bar bee hive. 
Reply
post #1538 of 1778
Hmmm...I did frozen ice blocks without treats. I think the ladies are in for a surprise tomorrow!
post #1539 of 1778
Ooo this ice block thing is exciting 😊 I will have to try it when it gets hot enough here
post #1540 of 1778

My very first chickens!! Golden comets and White Leghorns! So super eggcited!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Raising Baby Chicks
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Raising Baby Chicks › First Time Chick Parents, Spring 2016