Hi All! This is my first post ever! I have been a chick owner for less then 48 hours. And by that, I mean that 48 hours ago, I didn't know that I was going to spend this week as a chic owner! We had talked about getting chicks this spring and then life got crazy. These little guys kind of fell in our laps so to speak.
We have never had chickens before. Luckily, we are country people and we have friends and neighbors who have chickens, goats, rabbits etc. We also have 20 acres (about 15 woods, the rest house yarns, garden, fruit trees etc)
In any case, I have become a worried chick mama, checking on them constantly and watching them chirp, eat, sleep etc.
Our chicks came from three different sources and are three different sizes. We have 6 black sex links that look to be about 1 week old (they have just the start of a few wing feathers). They came from Tractor Supply. We have 1 chicken we believe is a RIR. We think that it is about 6-7 weeks old and a male (A friend took a look at it last night and this is her opinion. There is a noticeable comb on the head and my friend spread and looked at the wings). This chicken was 'won' at an FFA sponsored family fun day on Saturday. We know nothing about it. The RIR started this whole chicken thing (cause I didn't want it to be lonely!). Then we completed our flock with 4 yellowish chicks about 2 weeks old. These 4 chicks came to us through the friend who visited. They were sold at the Amish animal auction an hour from here. We don't know if they are male or female or the breed.
Right now we have the RIR separated, per the recommendation of someone who said that the RIR could easily kill the smallest birds and they should only be put together for a little while under a watchful eye.
The yellow chicks seem to be quite the handful (my friend said that this is because they are 'farm chicks' not 'store chicks') and they are constantly spilling the water which is making the bedding wet. This morning my 6 black sex links looked a little wet and cold. I cleaned out the brooder, changed the bedding (every square inch of the brooder was wet) and gave them fresh water. 15 minutes later, the bedding was wet again! I googled and ended up being shown a post from years ago on these forums that said to put the water on a block of wood to elevate it. This has been done and now the bedding has been dry for an hour. Most of the chicks are sleeping now which makes me happy.