BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Chicken Breeds › What Breed Or Gender is This? › Batch of mix birds. What do we have?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Batch of mix birds. What do we have? - Page 2

post #11 of 18
Thread Starter 
Thx a lot I was leaning on Blue Wyandots or possibly Blue Delaware this whole time.
post #12 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by donrae View Post

I agree, I don't see what they could be but Wyandottes. That white/pink skin is all wrong, though, not sure what's up with that. I thought Stromberg's had a better reputation than that. 

Im so thankful for everyone's help. What exactly do y'all mean by "white/pink skin being all wrong" forgive me still kinda new to the chickens.
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdmanfarms View Post


Im so thankful for everyone's help. What exactly do y'all mean by "white/pink skin being all wrong" forgive me still kinda new to the chickens.

Wyandottes are supposed to have bright yellow legs. Any other color indicates that the hatchery is mixing in other breeds, and isn't selecting for the proper traits that make the breed, even a little bit. If a hatchery is producing birds that don't fit any particular breed, they have some serious breeding/stock issues to sort out.

post #14 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by junebuggena View Post

Wyandottes are supposed to have bright yellow legs. Any other color indicates that the hatchery is mixing in other breeds, and isn't selecting for the proper traits that make the breed, even a little bit. If a hatchery is producing birds that don't fit any particular breed, they have some serious breeding/stock issues to sort out.

I see I see. Well is there the possibility that we have something other then Wyandottes?
post #15 of 18

With the rose comb, they definitely have Wyandotte in them. It's possible that the hatchery tried to make their own line of Blue/Black/Splash Wyandottes by using their Black Wyandotte stock and crossing them with their Blue Andalusians; instead of buying Blue Wyandotte stock. The rose comb is dominant, so all the chicks from that sort of crossing would have the right comb type for Wyandotte. But Andalusians have white skin and a dark wash on the legs, and those traits aren't easy to breed out, given that they are dominant over the Wyandotte yellow.

post #16 of 18

They do offer Blue Sumatra:  http://www.strombergschickens.com/product/Blue-Samatra-Chicks/Ornamental-Chickens

 

Peacomb - blue/slate legs

~~"To a man who keeps hens, all poultry lore is exciting and endlessly fascinating."~~ EB White

APA member

 Faverolles

My avatar is from this article: http://www.spiegel.de/international/zeitgeist/owl-raises-chicks-at-german-zoo-a-829641.html

Reply

~~"To a man who keeps hens, all poultry lore is exciting and endlessly fascinating."~~ EB White

APA member

 Faverolles

My avatar is from this article: http://www.spiegel.de/international/zeitgeist/owl-raises-chicks-at-german-zoo-a-829641.html

Reply
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdmanfarms View Post


I see I see. Well is there the possibility that we have something other then Wyandottes?


See above post - Blue Sumatras??

~~"To a man who keeps hens, all poultry lore is exciting and endlessly fascinating."~~ EB White

APA member

 Faverolles

My avatar is from this article: http://www.spiegel.de/international/zeitgeist/owl-raises-chicks-at-german-zoo-a-829641.html

Reply

~~"To a man who keeps hens, all poultry lore is exciting and endlessly fascinating."~~ EB White

APA member

 Faverolles

My avatar is from this article: http://www.spiegel.de/international/zeitgeist/owl-raises-chicks-at-german-zoo-a-829641.html

Reply
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopDeDoo View Post
 


See above post - Blue Sumatras??

But the birds in question have clear rose combs, not pea combs.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: What Breed Or Gender is This?
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Chicken Breeds › What Breed Or Gender is This? › Batch of mix birds. What do we have?