BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance › How to stop water leakage into the nestbox?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How to stop water leakage into the nestbox?

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 

Hi!

We finished building our coop a few months ago-it's not perfect but it will hold up. However, water can leak through the crack of the nest box lid touching the house and it makes everything wet and it's starting to mould. Does anyone know how can I close the crack and still be able to open the lid?

Thanks!

post #2 of 9
You could use a flap of waterproof material attached to the wall above the nestboxes--make it long enough to curve down over the crack so the water is directed past it. If the material is floppy enough, it won't interfere with the opening. You may need to caulk between the deflector and the wall though...easiest to do that if you sandwich the edge between two thin boards and then attach THAT to the wall.
post #3 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenChickens View Post
Does anyone know how can I close the crack and still be able to open the lid?

Thanks!

Quick Fix;

Tuck tape on its own. 

Another possibility maybe a strip of canvas rubber or some other waterproof material draped over the effected area and held in place by Tuck tape on the vertical wall.

Hope this helps,

Check out this link leads to a Video interview on me and my grand daughter done by a local TV Station on our WHITE HOMING PIGEON loft:

http://globalnews.ca/news/1478351/carrier-pigeons-continue-to-connect-family/

If you are not living for something;

You are dying for nothing.

Reply

Hope this helps,

Check out this link leads to a Video interview on me and my grand daughter done by a local TV Station on our WHITE HOMING PIGEON loft:

http://globalnews.ca/news/1478351/carrier-pigeons-continue-to-connect-family/

If you are not living for something;

You are dying for nothing.

Reply
post #4 of 9

Pics of nests would help.

 

Read thru some of the threads in underlined link below/

advanced search>titles only> leaking nest

Great article on VENTILATION, one of THE MOST IMPORTANT aspects of coop design.

Fantastic treatise to help decide how much SPACE your chickens need.

 

Chicken math is not just 'addition'...but also should include Division, Multiplication and especially Subtraction!!!

 

Quoting centrarchid:

"Make every effort to understand your chicken's biology and the environment that supports it."

Reply

Great article on VENTILATION, one of THE MOST IMPORTANT aspects of coop design.

Fantastic treatise to help decide how much SPACE your chickens need.

 

Chicken math is not just 'addition'...but also should include Division, Multiplication and especially Subtraction!!!

 

Quoting centrarchid:

"Make every effort to understand your chicken's biology and the environment that supports it."

Reply
post #5 of 9
LoL I did the same thing so what I ended up doing was going to Harbor Freight and buying a small tarp and using screws with washers to hang the tarp.on nicedays I throw the tarp up on the roof and put bricks on it.
post #6 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jensownzoo View Post

You could use a flap of waterproof material attached to the wall above the nestboxes--make it long enough to curve down over the crack so the water is directed past it. If the material is floppy enough, it won't interfere with the opening. You may need to caulk between the deflector and the wall though...easiest to do that if you sandwich the edge between two thin boards and then attach THAT to the wall.


Sounds good! I thought of using the inside tube of a bicycle tire? Im just a little worried that the silicon and tire tubing won't look good-  I know, I know it's not that important...

post #7 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokum Coco View Post
 

Quick Fix;

Tuck tape on its own. 

Another possibility maybe a strip of canvas rubber or some other waterproof material draped over the effected area and held in place by Tuck tape on the vertical wall.


Ok! Do you mean duck tape or...?

post #8 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kardar2 View Post

LoL I did the same thing so what I ended up doing was going to Harbor Freight and buying a small tarp and using screws with washers to hang the tarp.on nicedays I throw the tarp up on the roof and put bricks on it.


That's a nice idea but I don't think it will work for me! Thanks though

post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenChickens View Post
 


Ok! Do you mean duck tape or...? No this application you would want Tuck Tape water can not penetrate it. It is a red coloured tape used to hold Tyveck or any other house wrap together in the newer construction sites.

 

I have to admit


Edited by Hokum Coco - 2/21/16 at 3:14pm

Hope this helps,

Check out this link leads to a Video interview on me and my grand daughter done by a local TV Station on our WHITE HOMING PIGEON loft:

http://globalnews.ca/news/1478351/carrier-pigeons-continue-to-connect-family/

If you are not living for something;

You are dying for nothing.

Reply

Hope this helps,

Check out this link leads to a Video interview on me and my grand daughter done by a local TV Station on our WHITE HOMING PIGEON loft:

http://globalnews.ca/news/1478351/carrier-pigeons-continue-to-connect-family/

If you are not living for something;

You are dying for nothing.

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance › How to stop water leakage into the nestbox?