BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Incubating & Hatching Eggs › Day 23. Eggs moving for 2 days. No pip
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Day 23. Eggs moving for 2 days. No pip

post #1 of 6
Thread Starter 
Hi all,
I have 6 chicken eggs in incubator. On day 21 they started moving/shaking (5 of them) I stopped turning the eggs and increased the moisture on day 19. However, I still have no pip or anything what looks like a little crack on the stump side of the egg. They still move/shake a little. Shall I wait? Also I'm a little worried that I have not turned the eggs since day 19... Please help
post #2 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TumbleGrump View Post

Hi all,
I have 6 chicken eggs in incubator. On day 21 they started moving/shaking (5 of them) I stopped turning the eggs and increased the moisture on day 19. However, I still have no pip or anything what looks like a little crack on the stump side of the egg. They still move/shake a little. Shall I wait? Also I'm a little worried that I have not turned the eggs since day 19... Please help

Eggs don't need to be turned after 2 weeks, so don't worry about that. Have you checked your thermometers for accuracy?

Need help incubating/hatching? Are you more a hands on hatcher? Come visit us: http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1081034/hands-on-hatching-and-help

A guide to hatching from the hands on perspective: http://hatching411.weebly.com/

Reply

Need help incubating/hatching? Are you more a hands on hatcher? Come visit us: http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1081034/hands-on-hatching-and-help

A guide to hatching from the hands on perspective: http://hatching411.weebly.com/

Reply
post #3 of 6
Thread Starter 
Yes, 99.5/99.6 temp has been good whole time incl. humanity. I have hatched eggs before. This is new to me...
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyLynn2374 View Post

Eggs don't need to be turned after 2 weeks, so don't worry about that. Have you checked your thermometers for accuracy?
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TumbleGrump View Post

Yes, 99.5/99.6 temp has been good whole time incl. humanity. I have hatched eggs before. This is new to me...

When I did my very first hatch I had bought a new thermometer for my borrowed incubator. I never checked the thermometer. My chicks were developing and I went onto lockdown with 17 very active chicks, but at day 22-23 I still had nothing, even though they had been moving. Late day 23 I had a pip and it hatched day 24. Had one hatch day 25. The rest were DIS. My thermometer was reading 6 degrees off so the temps were quite low. It just reminds me of the way they were, that's why I asked.

Need help incubating/hatching? Are you more a hands on hatcher? Come visit us: http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1081034/hands-on-hatching-and-help

A guide to hatching from the hands on perspective: http://hatching411.weebly.com/

Reply

Need help incubating/hatching? Are you more a hands on hatcher? Come visit us: http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1081034/hands-on-hatching-and-help

A guide to hatching from the hands on perspective: http://hatching411.weebly.com/

Reply
post #5 of 6
Thread Starter 
Out of the blue 4 of the 6 have pips. 10 hours later one chick is out. 1 other almost. All at day 24!
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TumbleGrump View Post

Out of the blue 4 of the 6 have pips. 10 hours later one chick is out. 1 other almost. All at day 24!

That's great! I would definitely recheck all your thermometers. And if you have sav a chick I would add that to the water seeing as how they are so late they may need the extra electrolytes. (Or sugar water if you don't. Gatorade in the water I have also seen done or pedialyte.) Give there legs and feet a good look over too!

Need help incubating/hatching? Are you more a hands on hatcher? Come visit us: http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1081034/hands-on-hatching-and-help

A guide to hatching from the hands on perspective: http://hatching411.weebly.com/

Reply

Need help incubating/hatching? Are you more a hands on hatcher? Come visit us: http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1081034/hands-on-hatching-and-help

A guide to hatching from the hands on perspective: http://hatching411.weebly.com/

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Incubating & Hatching Eggs
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Incubating & Hatching Eggs › Day 23. Eggs moving for 2 days. No pip