BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures › **Chicken with pecked and bloody back. Please help!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**Chicken with pecked and bloody back. Please help!!!

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 

One of my Brabanter hens has gotten pecked at by some of the others. This is a picture of what her back looks like. I need help. How do I treat this? Should I quarantine her from the others? I am already quarantining another Brabanter and have another place to put her, but it's a small dog house that is far from the chicken coop. In other words, she will be completely separated. How long should I keep her separate? Will she ever be able to go with the others again? 

This has been a problem for me. I had 3 Brabanters. One died because she was pecked at and bleeding, I separated her in the dog house, she was never accepted in the flock, and she got sick and died. The other Brabanter got pecked on her neck and is separated in the coop in a small cage. Not this 3rd Brabanter is injured. I am frustrated and at a loss. I was going to go to the feed store today to pick up some feed, so please reply soon if I need to pick up some kind of medication or what not.

Thank you.

Janay

post #2 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJanay View Post
 

One of my Brabanter hens has gotten pecked at by some of the others. This is a picture of what her back looks like. I need help. How do I treat this? Should I quarantine her from the others? I am already quarantining another Brabanter and have another place to put her, but it's a small dog house that is far from the chicken coop. In other words, she will be completely separated. How long should I keep her separate? Will she ever be able to go with the others again? 

This has been a problem for me. I had 3 Brabanters. One died because she was pecked at and bleeding, I separated her in the dog house, she was never accepted in the flock, and she got sick and died. The other Brabanter got pecked on her neck and is separated in the coop in a small cage. Not this 3rd Brabanter is injured. I am frustrated and at a loss. I was going to go to the feed store today to pick up some feed, so please reply soon if I need to pick up some kind of medication or what not.

Thank you.

Janay


you must clean the wound if you have peroxide or dilute some iodine in water. try to find some antibiotic spray (they are usually blue or purple). don't use peroxide more thane once. you should spray the wound 3x per day for 3-4 days or as needed.

post #3 of 8

keep her away from the others as they would peck her wound.

post #4 of 8
Thread Starter 


Thank you for your reply. Should I keep her separate from the others?

post #5 of 8
Thread Starter 


That makes sense. But in the dog house for 3-4 days, wouldn't the others 'forget' about her and not accept her back?

post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJanay View Post
 


That makes sense. But in the dog house for 3-4 days, wouldn't the others 'forget' about her and not accept her back?


I have never had a problem to reintroduce chickens. I do it either at night or at feeding time. keep her separate till she heals. chickens always peck at wounds and blood (even the sprayed wound). good luck.

post #7 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickengr View Post
 


I have never had a problem to reintroduce chickens. I do it either at night or at feeding time. keep her separate till she heals. chickens always peck at wounds and blood (even the sprayed wound). good luck.


Ok, I will try that. Thank you so much!

post #8 of 8
I had a chicken that was not eating so I brought her inside so I could feed her, well she ended up being inside for 2 weeks and I tried to put her back but the other chicken didn't like that idea. So I thought a while and I took one of my old dog cages and mounted it up on the roost area so she could socialize for a few days and she hasn't gotten pecked or beaten up at all since then. So if she gets pecked when you put her back down then try what I did. And to clean out the wound I would suggest vetericyn that works very well.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures › **Chicken with pecked and bloody back. Please help!!!