BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Social › New Member Introductions › A big HELLO from West Virginia!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

A big HELLO from West Virginia! - Page 2

post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynLovesChicks View Post
 

I've been looking around here on BackYard Chickens for a couple of weeks and must say ya'll are the most friendly people!  Such a wealth of information that I could read for weeks and never get caught up on such good advise.  I grew up on a small farm and always had chickens but until recently (many years later) have I been able to start keeping chickens and hatching eggs.  Currently I have 33 very alive eggs (Araucanas, Marans, Leghorns and Black Australorp's) in a Farm Innovators Pro Series 4200 and getting rather nervous since my hatch is due in just five days!  Any encouragement is appreciated as well as advise on your experience with humidity level during the last three days.  

                                                Thank you!    :cd 

 

:welcome not much to now but wait it out you should be locking down your hatch soon good luck with it if your temps and humidity has been right through out incubation you should have a fair hatch . when you get time post picture of the hatch or tell us how it goes from here. I have two of those and about to retire them .someone  here can answer just about any question  
be careful who you trust  believe me   just as sure as you do  the ones you trust the most might. make a fool of you  the road you travel on my be filled with  ruts and holes  careful where you place your feet you might fall and bust your nose .
Reply
be careful who you trust  believe me   just as sure as you do  the ones you trust the most might. make a fool of you  the road you travel on my be filled with  ruts and holes  careful where you place your feet you might fall and bust your nose .
Reply
post #12 of 19

Welcome lots of good information in this place. Hampshire Co here.

post #13 of 19
So exciting! I am not far over in Jefferson County WV! Hatching eggs is my next adventure, so I am excited to follow this thread! Good luck!!
post #14 of 19
Thread Starter 

Yes they went on lock-down today - day 18!  I'm so excited to see some of the eggs moving ever so slightly :love

post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynLovesChicks View Post
 

Yes they went on lock-down today - day 18!  I'm so excited to see some of the eggs moving ever so slightly :love


movement is always a  good sign. so with luck Tuesday you'll have chicks good luck .

be careful who you trust  believe me   just as sure as you do  the ones you trust the most might. make a fool of you  the road you travel on my be filled with  ruts and holes  careful where you place your feet you might fall and bust your nose .
Reply
be careful who you trust  believe me   just as sure as you do  the ones you trust the most might. make a fool of you  the road you travel on my be filled with  ruts and holes  careful where you place your feet you might fall and bust your nose .
Reply
post #16 of 19
Thread Starter 

Day 20 and nothing new to post... no pips yet!  I may have gotten off one day when I counted the entire day I placed them in the incubator.  If that's the case then 21 days will not be reached until noon on Wednesday.  I just read an article on BYC that indicated the same day of the week that you placed your eggs in an incubator is the same day of the week 21 days later that they should hatch.  I sure would love to see some movement soon.... :yiipchick

post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyBucketFarm View Post
 

Day 20 and nothing new to post... no pips yet!  I may have gotten off one day when I counted the entire day I placed them in the incubator.  If that's the case then 21 days will not be reached until noon on Wednesday.  I just read an article on BYC that indicated the same day of the week that you placed your eggs in an incubator is the same day of the week 21 days later that they should hatch.  I sure would love to see some movement soon.... :yiipchick

What you read is true and is the rule I follow . always set on Saturday and lock down on Wednesday . like weekend hatches . you have finished your first day at the end of 24 hours . if you did everything right and temps were good then you should be seeing pips soon If your temperature was a little low your hatch could be delayed a little . or if you were a little high you might pip and hatch a little early . I spend a lot of time on the she said he said thread in incubating and hatching pop in on the end of the thread if you have any questions there is another member from WV that post a lot there don't read the whole thing take forever just go to the end and introduce yourself. it is a very good thread .lots of info and very helpful people plus we would like to see pictures of your hatch .good luck hope you have pips now :fl 


Edited by BYC910 - 3/7/16 at 5:37pm
be careful who you trust  believe me   just as sure as you do  the ones you trust the most might. make a fool of you  the road you travel on my be filled with  ruts and holes  careful where you place your feet you might fall and bust your nose .
Reply
be careful who you trust  believe me   just as sure as you do  the ones you trust the most might. make a fool of you  the road you travel on my be filled with  ruts and holes  careful where you place your feet you might fall and bust your nose .
Reply
post #18 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BYC910 View Post
 

What you read is true and is the rule I follow . always set on Saturday and lock down on Wednesday . like weekend hatches . you have finished your first day at the end of 24 hours . if you did everything right and temps were good then you should be seeing pips soon If your temperature was a little low your hatch could be delayed a little . or if you were a little high you might pip and hatch a little early . I spend a lot of time on the she said he said thread in incubating and hatching pop in on the end of the thread if you have any questions there is another member from WV that post a lot there don't read the whole thing take forever just go to the end and introduce yourself. it is a very good thread .lots of info and very helpful people plus we would like to see pictures of your hatch .good luck hope you have pips now :fl 

I really appreciate all this information and will certainly run over and join in on the thread you told me about.  Indeed I do have pips now!!  lol  It started last night at 11:45 and all night long a total of 10 have pipped so far... I actually started hearing them peeping in the shells before any tried to pip!  It just all seems like such a miracle and soooo addictive.  If my calculations are correct they started pipping on the 20th day and I'm hoping I'll have some chicks by the beginning of the 21st day.  I have been keeping a journal (since this is my first incubation) for future incubations.  The only real problem I've had so far is maintaining the humidity during this lock-down phase.  Every two hours I've had to add water and that seems like a lot although I'm only adding CC's at a time.  During the first 18 days it was easy to maintain between 40 - 50 humidity but has been difficult to maintain 65 - 70 which I'm sure has to do with our home and the fact that we burn a wood stove and also have propane stoves (no gas in the country here).  I hope to find additional information on how others maintain the humidity during lock-down but for now I'm one happy soon to be....                                  Chicken Mama!     :weee

post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyBucketFarm View Post
 

I really appreciate all this information and will certainly run over and join in on the thread you told me about.  Indeed I do have pips now!!  lol  It started last night at 11:45 and all night long a total of 10 have pipped so far... I actually started hearing them peeping in the shells before any tried to pip!  It just all seems like such a miracle and soooo addictive.  If my calculations are correct they started pipping on the 20th day and I'm hoping I'll have some chicks by the beginning of the 21st day.  I have been keeping a journal (since this is my first incubation) for future incubations.  The only real problem I've had so far is maintaining the humidity during this lock-down phase.  Every two hours I've had to add water and that seems like a lot although I'm only adding CC's at a time.  During the first 18 days it was easy to maintain between 40 - 50 humidity but has been difficult to maintain 65 - 70 which I'm sure has to do with our home and the fact that we burn a wood stove and also have propane stoves (no gas in the country here).  I hope to find additional information on how others maintain the humidity during lock-down but for now I'm one happy soon to be....                                  Chicken Mama!     :weee


Dollar store sponge cheap 4inch x2.5n inch 1half inch thick  come six to a pack I use those wet one or two and throw it in Learned it on the thread :thumbsup

be careful who you trust  believe me   just as sure as you do  the ones you trust the most might. make a fool of you  the road you travel on my be filled with  ruts and holes  careful where you place your feet you might fall and bust your nose .
Reply
be careful who you trust  believe me   just as sure as you do  the ones you trust the most might. make a fool of you  the road you travel on my be filled with  ruts and holes  careful where you place your feet you might fall and bust your nose .
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: New Member Introductions
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Social › New Member Introductions › A big HELLO from West Virginia!